Re-fitting seats in my 1970 RHD TR6 after installing carpet and interior trim.

Car doesn't seem wide enough to allow the seats to move far backwards.

Without carpet and trim there wasn't a problem but now if I fit  the seat in it is going to make a mess of the B post trim if I push it back to get a reasonable driving position. The recliner handle is the main problem.

As far as I know the seats are original , I am only 5' 11" , so that should not be a problem. I have googled it and not found that anyone else has had the same problem. I suppose my next step is to strip the carpet etc off the prop shaft tunnel and see how much better it is then.

Has anyone on here had a similar problem?

Thanks Eddie 

I'm about the same height and don't seem to have any problem, I guess it depends if your legs are a bit longer than your upper body though compared to me? 

Not sure how far back my seat is set either, I can't get it forward enough for my Mrs though... oh well. ;)

Gareth

I found with the MX5 seats that I had to offset the runners one notch before fitting, so they cleared the B pillar, so they are now at a slight angle which is not noticeable. Although they are tight on the tunnel at least they are not squeaking against the vinyl on the pillar.

Is it possible to do this with the TR6 seats?

Edited by jpmf

If you look at the runners there are two holes in the brackets that the seat bolts to,the seats should be bolted to the rear outside and front inside holes thus angling the seats slightly inwards at the rear this gives clearance.

Stuart.

Thanks Stuart,

I figured that might be a solution and tried it. The handle just catches the trim so I have protected with a thin stainless plate for now. 

The trim is leather with leather piping so it might be a bit thicker than normal but there can't  be much clearance normally.

Eddie 

3 hours ago, Eddie Trickett said:

Thanks Stuart,

I figured that might be a solution and tried it. The handle just catches the trim so I have protected with a thin stainless plate for now. 

The trim is leather with leather piping so it might be a bit thicker than normal but there can't  be much clearance normally.

Eddie 

There isnt a lot but normally with just vinyl on card with no padding as trim then there is enough.

Stuart.

Left Seat: Use the FORWARD hole on the left ear and REAR hole on the right ear to attach the seat to the runners.

Right Seat: Use the FORWARD hole on the RIGHT ear, the REAR hole on the left ear to attach the seat to the runners.

12 hours ago, AarhusTr6 said:

Hi

Can anyone tell me, why two holes on the runners at the back of the frame?  is it some it could fit many types of cars?  

Thanks

Richard

Yes theyre a generic runner and used across the Standard Triumph range.

Stuart.

12 hours ago, AarhusTr6 said:

Left Seat: Use the FORWARD hole on the left ear and REAR hole on the right ear to attach the seat to the runners.

Right Seat: Use the FORWARD hole on the RIGHT ear, the REAR hole on the left ear to attach the seat to the runners.

No use the same for both sides.as I described above. use the forward hole on the inner mount and the rear one for the outer mount.

Stuart.

34 minutes ago, Mike C said:

+1

On my 4A that has TR6 seats fitted I use the forward hole on the seat outer side and the rear hole on the side nearest the tunnel which is the same as Richard and the opposite to Stuart and Mike. Using both sides in the same hole or the opposite combination meant that the drivers seat did not line up with the steering wheel as well and I felt as if I was sitting at a slight angle to the steering. 

Best advice is to experiment with the hole positions and see which combination works best for your car. Just ensure that the locking mechanism at the rear of the seat operates as it should. On my 4A I had to manufacture a couple of runner extensions because the original 4A seats do not lock onto the runners at the back whereas the TR6 seats do.

Keith 

2 hours ago, stuart said:

No use the same for both sides.as I described above. use the forward hole on the inner mount and the rear one for the outer mount.

Stuart.

I get rather confused on this. . . so many ideas and thoughts on this,

Richard