Has anyone replaced PI rubber fuel pipes with copper in the boot??

I have had enough of the smell of petrol fumes from the boot. I have replaced the tank 2" filler pipe,and sender unit gasket with a viton seal.  I have narrowed down the source of the smell to the R6 rated old rubber piping in the boot which goes to & from the fuel tank & fuel pump.

I know that the increase in ethanol levels has caused problems with old rubber pipes,  and seen the threads discussing R14/PTFE reinforced pipes to minimise the permeability of fumes, but I'm not entirely convinced, so I am planning to replace ALL the existing rubber 5/16" supply as well as the 3/8" return pipes from rubber to fully copper at all points, with compression joints.  I am hoping this will stop all fumes....

I am also in th eprocess of fitting a firewall to be absolutely sure that the above works 100%.

I'd be interested to know if anyone has considered, or done this with any success?

10 minutes ago, Josh said:

Yes Peter, I am planning to put sufficient loops and length on the replacements to provide plenty of flexibility.

Some photos please when all is done please 

Peter W

12 hours ago, Josh said:

I have had enough of the smell of petrol fumes from the boot. I have replaced the tank 2" filler pipe,and sender unit gasket with a viton seal.  I have narrowed down the source of the smell to the R6 rated old rubber piping in the boot which goes to & from the fuel tank & fuel pump.

I know that the increase in ethanol levels has caused problems with old rubber pipes,  and seen the threads discussing R14/PTFE reinforced pipes to minimise the permeability of fumes, but I'm not entirely convinced, so I am planning to replace ALL the existing rubber 5/16" supply as well as the 3/8" return pipes from rubber to fully copper at all points, with compression joints.  I am hoping this will stop all fumes....

I am also in th eprocess of fitting a firewall to be absolutely sure that the above works 100%.

I'd be interested to know if anyone has considered, or done this with any success?

I wouldnt due to the possibility of fractures even when looped. The R14 spec that I have recommended umpteen times does stop permeation.

Stuart.

I’m sure copper will stop the fumes, but I would not recommend copper pipe with compression type fittings in this service due to the vibrations generated by the pump.

I have replaced the high pressure side with gates barricade, but not the inlet lines, due to unavailability in the larger diameters. Also the filler hose on top of the tank is new but of unknown quality. I still have some smell in the boot, but not too much. 

Waldi

On 5/11/2021 at 9:14 PM, Josh said:

Hi Josh,

I have a Qinetiq test report on assessing compatibility of fuel systems with bio-ethanol. Copper, brass, aluminium are considered not suitable materials. It does not give a reason

Bruce.

2 hours ago, astontr6 said:

Hi Josh,

I have a Qinetiq test report on assessing compatibility of fuel systems with bio-ethanol. Copper, brass, aluminium are considered not suitable materials. It does not give a reason

Bruce.

Copper is a really good catalyst. In the early 1970's I worked on a program to remove all copper components from the RAAF ground refuelling systems largely because the copper destroyed a lot of the new additives in their Avtur .