I would be grateful for info on where to buy a traditional battery charger not the smart charger as they are too smart. I want a charger to monitor myself.

Rod

I have a couple of rarely used halfords ones you can have but you are the opposite end of the country to me unless you want to just pay the carriage.

However I used to think your way but bought a CTEK one and quite frankly you don't want anythiing else. Just plug it in and that's it. It will do a full charge or a conditioning charge and sorts it all oit for itself. Just three lights to tell you what's what. Note CTEK are the expensive ones but there are many other cheaper and just as good. Don't waste your money on old style chargers.

Old style chargers can restore a battery which is completely flat.  As I understand it, modern chargers may not be able to cope with such a condition - but perhaps I am wrong about that.

My ancient battery charger has selenium rectifiers, I think.

Ian Cornish

All the chargers I've seen on the market recently have included non-live croc clips, so the output isn't live until the charger sees some voltage, and some need more voltage that a really flat battery will have. This is a pain if you want to use the charger as a power source, e.g. to test a headlamp. The trick to charging a completely dead battery is to parallel it with a working battery before connecting the charger until it has enough voltage for the charger to recognise it as a battery. 

Like Ian, I have a really ancient (1960s) one with a selenium rectifier, and also a more recent Challenge one with a silicon rectifier but with always live output, both useful on rare occasions.

Pete

If a battery goes completely flat it will never be quite the same again.

I use the Lidl "smart" chargers, I have 4 of them now, They are good value for money, & work well, but as said above will not like a battery which has gone down in volts too far.

Bob.

16 minutes ago, Lebro said:

If a battery goes completely flat it will never be quite the same again.

I use the Lidl "smart" chargers, I have 4 of them now, They are good value for money, & work well, but as said above will not like a battery which has gone down in volts too far.

Bob.

Agree it will never last I use a Sealey and Cetec as it cleans the plates