Bonnet Structure

My car is a 65 plate and I believe I have a support strut missing from the bonnet, would anyone be able to post an image of the inside of their bonnet please?

Thanks

Thanks Stuart, that looks similar to mine but someone mentioned that I should have two?? I did check but there seemed to be different structures on google images

6 minutes ago, Jase said:

Thanks Stuart, that looks similar to mine but someone mentioned that I should have two?? I did check but there seemed to be different structures on google images

If you meant the front to back struts then there is only one on all TR4/4a/5 bonnets its only when they went to the TR6 bonnet that they fitted two.

Stuart.

image.thumb.png.2a2d0e3e264272b8d6cd659c90f4d867.png

Edited by stuart

The above pic makes it clear, I think the chap who told me that my bonnet was missing one was thinking of a TR6. Thanks

Edited by Jase

My 4A's has a single support strut, but it fouls and rattles on the radiator, which I presume is mounted too far back.

2019427052_phone211050s.jpg.749fe05d9a3375fb484c3dd6a3f12e2d.jpg   1571723185_phone211049s.jpg.261dd772cc96ea05d55f32b5f8e3f33c.jpg

Another little job to be done, sometime soon. :rolleyes:

Pete  - if you look at the first bonnet picture Stuart posted, you can see the "cups" in each corner which locate with the bonnet cones which are missing on your bonnet - looks like they may be a separate pressing spot welded to the strengthening plate underneath so you may be able to source some. They are also on the TR6 bonnet so probably the same

Cheers Rich

6 minutes ago, rcreweread said:

Pete  - if you look at the first bonnet picture Stuart posted, you can see the "cups" in each corner which locate with the bonnet cones which are missing on your bonnet - looks like they may be a separate pressing spot welded to the strengthening plate underneath so you may be able to source some. They are also on the TR6 bonnet so probably the same

Cheers Rich

If its missing those sections then its an earlier TR4 bonnet as they had different rear bump fittings with flat tops.

Stuart.

16 minutes ago, Bfg said:

My 4A's has a single support strut, but it fouls and rattles on the radiator, which I presume is mounted too far back.

2019427052_phone211050s.jpg.749fe05d9a3375fb484c3dd6a3f12e2d.jpg   1571723185_phone211049s.jpg.261dd772cc96ea05d55f32b5f8e3f33c.jpg

Another little job to be done, sometime soon. :rolleyes:

It maybe the rad is mounted too high, check the thickness of the mounting rubbers.

Stuart.

Yes indeed, thanks Rich I had all but set those aside in my mind ..and I dare not make a list of the jobs to do ! 

I'll see if the merchants sell just those reinforcement and location cups. If so I can glue them on.   

Stuart, great thanks, my car is fitted with pointed conical buffers on which the bonnet wobbles around all over the place.  And that in turn aggravates the bonnet to radiator touching.  My bonnet is single skin in those corners, whereas I would have thought they should at least have had flat reinforcement plates.?  The underside area of those corners shows pitting from corrosion so I'm guessing the plates were removed during restoration to clean that up, but then never refitted.  Bob had bought the car as an unfinished restoration, so he might not have taken them off.  I would guess they're spot welded or tacked on, so perhaps he only realised they were missing after the bonnet was in paint.  

Pete.

1 minute ago, Bfg said:

Yes indeed, thanks Rich I had all but set those aside in my mind ..and I dare not make a list of the jobs to do ! 

I'll see if the merchants sell just those reinforcement and location cups. If so I can glue them on.   

Stuart, great thanks, my car is fitted with pointed conical buffers on which the bonnet wobbles around all over the place.  And that in turn aggravates the bonnet to radiator touching.  My bonnet is single skin in those corners, whereas I would have thought they should at least have had flat reinforcement plates.?  The underside area of those corners shows pitting from corrosion so I'm guessing the plates were removed during restoration to clean that up, but then never refitted.  Bob had bought the car as an unfinished restoration, so he might not have taken them off.  I would guess they're spot welded or tacked on, so perhaps he only realised they were missing after the bonnet was in paint.  

Pete.

No early TR4 long bulge bonnet looked like this no reinforcing more than the inner frame, the rear bonnet cones are flat topped to just hold the bonnet up and were then superseded on 4a with pointed cones. Items 36 and then 37 here Bonnet cones

Stuart.

image.png.7446e7fdf7f03427bfa325e7352147f3.png

Great Thanks Stuart I understand what you're saying, Katie's bonnet ought to have the cups for the cones to locate into.  I haven't yet looked to see if anyone offers those (pressed steel cups) as repair items or whether I'll need to find a damaged bonnet which I steal them off.

56 minutes ago, Bfg said:

Great Thanks Stuart I understand what you're saying, Katie's bonnet ought to have the cups for the cones to locate into.  I haven't yet looked to see if anyone offers those (pressed steel cups) as repair items or whether I'll need to find a damaged bonnet which I steal them off.

You could just fit the earlier flat topped buffers and align them properly and then youll have the same as early TR4 owners live with.

Stuart.

2 hours ago, stuart said:

One here off the web,

Stuart

image.thumb.png.104e855588134b6778436fb73d135fbe.png

Stuart,

This bonnet has the strut support at an angle from the "eyebrow" in the bonnet to the cut out in the bonnet centre, isn't that indicative of a TR5 bonnet ?

Mick Richards

12 minutes ago, Motorsport Mickey said:

Stuart,

This bonnet has the strut support at an angle from the "eyebrow" in the bonnet to the cut out in the bonnet centre, isn't that indicative of a TR5 bonnet ?

Mick Richards

Yes it is, I was just trying to illustrate the single front to rear strut as used on all 4/4a/5 bonnets as OP seemed to think there should be two.

Stuart.

55 minutes ago, stuart said:

You could just fit the earlier flat topped buffers and align them properly and then youll have the same as early TR4 owners live with.

Stuart.

Seems the best option and then to adjust the side buffers to minimise wobbling sideways.

Thanks Stuart.

Pete

2021-03-10 TR - Clutch & bonnet buffers 047s.jpg

2021-03-10 TR - Clutch & bonnet buffers 048s.jpg

2021-03-10 TR - Clutch & bonnet buffers 050s.jpg

I’m replacing the bonnet on my TR4A, and several people suggested adding stiffing plates to the rear corners. Apparently constant lifting of the bonnet by the rear edge will twist the metal.

Jim

3 minutes ago, Tr4aJim said:

I’m replacing the bonnet on my TR4A, and several people suggested adding stiffing plates to the rear corners. Apparently constant lifting of the bonnet by the rear edge will twist the metal.

Jim

Not so much lifting more slamming it, I fit them whenever restoring one.

Stuart.

1794864283_MarksTR5510.thumb.jpg.731c96227ac102a0d11b1a72be768e2a.jpg1709002759_MarksTR5511.thumb.jpg.8c66023192bbed3a12c158b0c3784b53.jpg1198956078_MarksTR5512.thumb.jpg.758b9bfb7ed000b3278e22d350305756.jpg