Webcam onto old PC

I am using an HP Pavilion HPK 500-119ea PC, which I bought in December 2013.  I've updated from Windows 8 to Windows 365.

The PC doesn't have a webcam, so I have decided to purchase a Logitech C920HD so that I may be able to Skype and Zoom (whatever that means!).

Question: will I need to install any application package in order to make the webcam operate? 

If so, is it just a simple download from Logitech's website?  (Nothing is ever simple with computers!)

Alex (our son) seems to think it's just a matter of connecting the webcam to a USB port.  Is he correct?

Ian Cornish

Windows 365 is a cloud office suite of programs like word that you pay MS rental for. The operating system is probably still Windows 8 unless you have updated that.

The webcam may load its own driver contained within Windows or on-line but you will need to download Zoom to use it for that particular application.

Kevin 

Edited by boxofbits

Hi Ian,

The Logitech spec sheet for the C920 suggests it is compatible with Windows 7 or later, so you shouldn't have any problems if you've already installed Windows 8.

However, you will probably need to download and install the software and drivers from Logitech as well.

Here's a link to their support page : Logitech Support

Scroll down. Click on Support, then Downloads.

Also, here's a quick setup guide which may prove useful.

Hope that helps.

As Kevin suggests above, you will also need to download Zoom, if that's the app you wish to use.

Here's a setup guide for that too.

Cheers, Deggers

Edited by Deggers

Thanks, gentlemen, very helpful.

Yes, I meant Office 365 (now called Microsoft 365 on latest invoice), for which I pay rental - we have it on 3 computers here.

In 2013, the PC came with Windows 8.

I'll explore further when the camera arrives sometime in the next few days.

Ian Cornish

Can I suggest you don't rent but buy from https://www.fairsoftware.co.uk/office-2016/

Whatever you order is out of stock so they give you the full Professional 2016 version anyway. I've bought several and they will help over the phone. Nice company.

Having had a look, I feel sure that I'm now on Windows 10.

Will have a good look at the suggested guides for Logitech webcam and Zoom - something to keep me busy whilst it's far too cold to work in the unheated garage (was +0.1 C in there this morning).

Ian Cornish

2 hours ago, ianc said:

Having had a look, I feel sure that I'm now on Windows 10.

Will have a good look at the suggested guides for Logitech webcam and Zoom - something to keep me busy whilst it's far too cold to work in the unheated garage (was +0.1 C in there this morning).

Ian Cornish

Hi Ian

If you haven’t already checked, select Start button/ Settings/ System then About and it’ll tell you what operating system you have with your version Number.

Regards

Kevin

Fairsoftware is not i repeat not a certified Microsoft Software Partner- buyer beware. I have been down this cheap software road before- you will find that one day your software wont work or certain features are no longer available. You then contact for help and theres nobody because the site has got shut down, every so often Microsoft have a cull on these sites- its the old addage if it sounds too good to be true it usually is. Certification from Microsoft guarantees you will receive genuine software. If you dont believe any of what im saying just look up about Fairsoftware on Google or read what Microsoft say about genuine software. There thats me off my preaching desk- im only looking out for you all as the last company i installed 6 licences of software from a company selling cheap software on a nicely presented website was money down the drain after a couple of years and they had to buy again but this time from Microsoft to ensure it worked.

Or of course you can avoid paying for Office / 365 at all by using LibreOffice or OpenOffice.  Free to download and just as good for normal non-professional use.

9 hours ago, michaeldavis39 said:

Fairsoftware is not i repeat not a certified Microsoft Software Partner

Actually you get a genuine Microsoft Certificate from Microsoft confirming registration and authorisation and you get all Microsoft updates too.

Richard there is no mention of being a Microsoft Certified Partner on their site i stand by my advice- if they are a partner then why are they not proudly displaying that like all other suppliers who also charge the normal rate for software. I think you will find they are selling software that should only be sold for enterprise not retail - time will tell.

Edited by michaeldavis39

Not accusing you of anything, nice company - did you try clicking on the microsoft partner logo?-  Im not interested in what you have im interested in protecting people thats all lets leave it there shall we - you do what you want - but i do know what im talking about and got scammed by a nice company playing the same game thats all. 

You get a registration code that you have to go to Microsoft's registration system to register it. Then Microsoft updates the license on your laptop from, not authorised to authorised. A scam company would not do this as only Microsoft knows how to update their software to authorised. If Microsoft is happy, so am I and so should everyone else be.

As I am the one who kicked off the particular topic, I hope you don't mind if I interrupt and tell you how I have been getting on.  I have been preparing a PowerPoint presentation to be delivered virtually - although I have delivered my presentation on the Works' TR4 Rally cars some 15 times, this was something out of this world!

Logitech C920HD webcam arrived yesterday, so later on we tried to get things going, with Maddy (SWMBO)on her laptop in the kitchen, her brother, Nigel, in Paignton, and me driving from this PC in the study.

After somewhat of a performance, I managed to initiate a Zoom session on my PC and then launched PowerPoint. Some more fiddling around and then was able to get Maddy & Nigel viewing the slides, with me in Presenter mode.

Carried out a timed run-through of my PowerPoint presentation at rather a gallop - 32 minutes. Useful, as it revealed that some changes are needed to my script to make life easier.

When I got to the end, I must have exited the presentation the wrong way, and I was left with just 3 small, moving pictures on left of screen (with sound), then was unable to exit Zoom. Finally, gave up the struggle and just shut down my PC.

Definitely need more practice!  But getting there - and I have time to prepare.

BTW, Nigel was very impressed with the Logitech picture - colour & sound are very good, and it has auto-focus. I think he is going to buy one (£89.99 from Curry's, including free delivery).

Thanks for all the advice you have given me - it has definitely helped me.

Ian Cornish