TR6 Door Glass Removal

OK, I've looked through old posts on how to get the glass out but the 'takes 30 minutes' suggestion is heading towards a few hours - help!

Can anyone show pictures of how to get the glass out?

I'm restoring the whole car so door is on the work bench and everything is removed except to a bit of chrome trim on the inside of the glass opening.

Both glass vertical channels are unbolted but not out of the door carcass. I've undone all set screws holding the winde mechanism but the nylon wheels will not 'just come out of their channel' as suggested.

What am I missing, please?

Richard,

IIRC:
If everything is loose, and you wind it fully down (or up, I forgot), one of the two nylon wheels falls out of the guide. Remove bottom and top stroke limit too.

Think that’s it, getting out was easy, getting in a bit more work.

Waldi

Sorted. Seems the channel had been slightly pinched at the very end so nylon wheel would not come off. had I started on the other side first it was easy to get off.

Yes and thanks, make everything loose and it all juggles out.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi

i have everything out of the door apart from the glass which is attached to the winder mechanism it seems to come out then the triangle plate stops it then there us the task of the winder square

do I need to remove the glass from the winder first time I have done this

thanks in advance for any help

stuart you got any photos

dave

Hi Dave,

Assuming the door is  still on the car, I do as follows: wind window so approx 2/3s up and you can see the lower glass channel through the inner door frame. Get an assistant, or place rubber door wedges in the top of the door inside and outside to hold the glass firm. Remove the lower glass stop and front to back connecting rod. Stuff an old towel or similar in the bottom of the door in case you drop something. Unbolt winder mechanism, push into door cavity and then guide the nylon rollers out of the glass channel - I think backwards. Place mechanism in bottom of door and extract glass upwards. 
I don’t recall if weatherstrips need to be removed but probably do. 

Regards

Ian

On 8/12/2020 at 4:41 PM, BRINDUS44 said:

Hi Dave,

Assuming the door is  still on the car, I do as follows: wind window so approx 2/3s up and you can see the lower glass channel through the inner door frame. Get an assistant, or place rubber door wedges in the top of the door inside and outside to hold the glass firm. Remove the lower glass stop and front to back connecting rod. Stuff an old towel or similar in the bottom of the door in case you drop something. Unbolt winder mechanism, push into door cavity and then guide the nylon rollers out of the glass channel - I think backwards. Place mechanism in bottom of door and extract glass upwards. 
I don’t recall if weatherstrips need to be removed but probably do. 

Regards

Ian

You do need t least one of the weather strips removing to get the glass carrier out, usually the inside one.

Stuart.

On 7/29/2020 at 5:56 PM, Waldi said:

Richard,

IIRC:
If everything is loose, and you wind it fully down (or up, I forgot), one of the two nylon wheels falls out of the guide. Remove bottom and top stroke limit too.

Think that’s it, getting out was easy, getting in a bit more work.

Waldi

In my view you need 2 pairs of hands or it will lead to a lot of swearing!

Bruce. 

Hi All

Just a quick additional Q on this one.

Got the windows out and back in ok with refurbed vertical channels and they all work ok, winding up and down quiet happily.

But what about those pesky rubber and furry weather strips along the door tops?

Install before window or after and if after, like i'm trying to how beep does that work.

Cheers    Keith

I installed them after installing the glass, and lowered the window a bit further by removing the bottom stop. This to avoid scratches to the glass from the 7+7 clips that hold the seals.

Waldi