TR4 soft top water sealing question

Hi mates,

On the TR4 soft Top  ,,when the door window is fully up, is it on the outside or inside of the side flaps, if on the outside I'm sure it would leak, on the inside it wouldn't but would have to lower the glass every time you open the door--all the best Barry

If the hood is correct and has the elastic clips at the front and the correct guttering and the window height is adjusted right theyre usually pretty good for water leaks. The flap is inside.

Stuart.

My hood is incorrect - no elastic etc. It does have a pointless tag with a press stud thing which flaps about. The  side piece is only approximately near the door glass so lets in a lot of wind roar but generally no water. [That comes from base of the door window which is at a slightly different angle to the screen leaving a gap]

The tags with a press stud on should attach to the hood frame.

Mine is also missing elastic clips at the front and the hooks which attach to the windscreen pillars

Andy

The loose elastic goes around the back of the leg of hood frame and attaches to a popper fixed to the frame support immediately forward of it. On the other end of the sidepiece is a S/S loop that attaches to a small steel hook that's fixed to the windscreen frame. The elastic and sidepiece is kept taught between the two fixing points in that fashion.

In my experience with my TR4 the hood is reliably watertight - the only problem is it's such a pain to put up - especially when it's raining!

Cheers'

JEFFR

Hi Mates

Thanks for the tips ,, mine just has the flaps ( tags hanging down,) didn't know what to do with them ,no elastic, prob' would be ok  driving the the car, but what about when parked in the rain? just one small drop every min' would make a lot of water in the car?--all the best

barry 

7 hours ago, barrytr4 said:

Hi Mates

Thanks for the tips ,, mine just has the flaps ( tags hanging down,) didn't know what to do with them ,no elastic, prob' would be ok  driving the the car, but what about when parked in the rain? just one small drop every min' would make a lot of water in the car?--all the best

barry 

I carry a cockpit/hood cover in the boot (folds up to a small size) for when it spends the day sat still in the work car park. Something like this :

https://hamiltonclassic.co.uk/collections/outdoor-covers/products/convertible-top-cover

takes 2/3 mins put on, and the same the remove.

....... Andy 

During the full body paint job ,the garage thoughtfully ( ??? ) removed the two hooks & brackets from the windscreen frame for me ,

"to give it a cleaner line ". With the hood fabric tags flapping in the breeze , mentioned above, I put my thinking cap on.

My solution was gluing  strips of black Velcro to the tags ,long enough to go around the sun visor arms and adjustable enough to obtain

the correct tension to keep hood fabric against the inside of the window. Works for me.

Bob

8 hours ago, barrytr4 said:

Hi Mates

thanks for the tips,,, just remembered mine was a "Surrey Top, ", so it got the hooks missing--, going for the cockpit cover

Barry

It would still have the hooks anyway as the Surrey soft section has those elastic tags as well. So they have been removed at some time when converting back to soft top. The hooks are available and can be riveted on.

Stuart.

Following on from the original post, my hood has no attachments on the front edge of the window hood valance. There is a rivet on both sides which I assume would have held the elastic? straps which I don't have nor do I have any hooks. Can anyone advice on the correct positioning of the hooks and the length of strap plus loops, to get sufficient tension?

The pic shows the valance? on the passenger side

Andy

IMG_4425.JPG