Oil Filter Canister

Evening,

Sorry to bother with what should be a very simple job.  I have a 4A with original canister oil filter.  Having completed an oil change over the weekend, I can not get the blighter back on with the seal(s) provided.  I don't want to revert to a spin on as I want the car to be original.  I don't have a pit, or a lift so I am lying next to car, doing it be feel and need a 3rd arm to hold the seal in whilst trying to get canister back on and located.  The seals seem to fit in the housing ok but once i get it tight, i can feel that the seal has popped out somewhere around the circumference...hope I'm not over tightening...can't get the torque wrench on in this position.  Only 22 lb ft apparently, which doesn't sound like a lot.

Any top tips from those who've done it/can do it with their eyes closed?

Cheers,

Andy

Hi Andy and welcome.

I always change the seal, always use the narrower of the two that comes with the filter.

Fit in the groove in the oil filter head, having removed the old one and made sure there is nothing in the retaining groove,  smeer of grease and bolt up

centrally.

I bought one of those 3/8 ratchet palm of the hand rotary ratchets, specifically for the job.

John.

Did you dig out the old rubber ring seal ( and the one before that) with a sharp point like a scribes?  Did you fit the new seal using grease to hold it in place and seat it with the canister only ( bolt removed)?

Then re-assemble the filter housing assembly with filter plus a 1/4 pint of oil to wet the filter.   Fit from above by reaching down.   Only screw on by hand.  No tools until you are sure the bolt is in the thread ok.

Sholud tighten by hand leaving a turn or two for your chosen spanners

REMOVE PLUGS,!

check oil level.

spin engine till oil pressure shews 

refit plugs. Start and quickly check for leaks.

job done.

Go out and enjoy yourself.

Cheers

Peter W

I'm not sure whether I should admit this, but, in some 57 years, I have never changed the rubber ring on any of my TRs.  The can, with new filter, always seems to re-seal satisfactorily.

I get the front of the car onto a pair of ramps and this not only allows me to crawl under, it also means that the warm dirty oil exits very rapidly into my large bowl.

Ian Cornish

8 hours ago, John Morrison said:

I always change the seal, always use the narrower of the two that comes with the filter.

Andy,

I’m not 100% sure on this, but I think I read it somewhere on the forum.

The reason that 2 types of seal come with the filter is because there are  2 different manufacturers of filter heads (Tecalamit and Purolator) and each use a different seal.

Did 2 different types come with your new filter?

Maybe you are using the wrong one.

Charlie.

Gents,

Many thanks for the prompt and useful replies.  I suspect I was using the wrong seal on first inspection and given that I've popped the second one on to find it popped out as i tightened, I've probably knackered that one too.

Having chatted with my old man (a time served mechanic from 60s!!) he told me to make sure there were no remnants of old seals, which I duly did with a fine pointed scribe - nothing.  A bit like Ian, I think I may have got a good seal previously without a seal...prob through brute force.  The old one didn't fall out when I took canister off, nor is it in the oil, nor is it on the head...

I will work out whether I have the purolater or tec unit based on the part number stamped on the cast head and pop up to Rimmer's (other parts shops are available) to get a set of seals.  Gutted, I tuned up the carbs and got mixture just right with my recent birthday pressies (synchometer and Gunson colour check) and can't get the bugger out of the garage due to haemorrhaging oil everywhere!  

Looks like the spin ons cause nothing but trouble anyway so I'd like to get this fettled.  An oil change should be a joy but thats 2-0 to Triumph in my limited experience and litres of oil on my garage floor.

The joys!!

Andy

Hi Andy, get the car raised so you can see what's going on, have you also replaced the small seal near the bolt head , they last for years until one day--

When you tighten the bolt the canister should not turn with it, this may cause the big seal to stretch and pop out.  Locate big seal with grease, Hold canister still and turn bolt with other hand.

Chris

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks for all the helpful replies.  

Finally got round to getting a new filter which comes with 2 rubber seals...same problem - which one is for use with the Tecalamit filter head!?  Both appear to be same circumference but one is definitely wider by a mm or so.  I guess there are 2 seals as its a common part to serve either the Tec or Purolator filter head.  I have also replaced the rubber seal under the bolt head at bottom of canister

The old one wasn't there or had fallen into the oil can before I could compare.  

Happy to trial and error but might end up back where i started. 

Thanks,

On 5/26/2020 at 8:23 AM, Charlie D said:

Andy,

I’m not 100% sure on this, but I think I read it somewhere on the forum.

The reason that 2 types of seal come with the filter is because there are  2 different manufacturers of filter heads (Tecalamit and Purolator) and each use a different seal.

Did 2 different types come with your new filter?

Maybe you are using the wrong one.

Charlie.

If the thread on the bolt is unf then the thinner section seal is the one and if it is unc use the thicker.