TR5 Originality.

I’ve owned my 5 since 1975, during that time I have maintained it in good order, while trying to keep it original.

After 52 years lots of parts deteriorate, rubber perishes, metal rusts, etc.The interior is mostly original, today I removed it.

The carpets are finished, the cardboard is disintegrating, seat foam turning to dust.

So it’s a new interior, It’s only original once.

but to keep a older car in good order you have to replace many parts.

how many original TR 5 are left?

470DB33B-E303-4A0E-A96D-23BE9DE7754B.jpeg

Ow Ow ...now that's a thorny question.

Now as we touched on previously on another thread there is quite a turnover of historic cars where random various components lead to the resurrection or even birth of complete cars. It's long been alleged that there are a number of TR5s which have at least donor parts from other models and sometimes maybe rather more.

The provenance of a car and especially with the TR5 (and it's increased value given it's rarity (well maybe supposed rarity) is important, and essential to confirm what you see is what started out as such, and didn't grow into it over the years. I'm not well versed enough to be able to sort out the "wheat from the chaff" and realise that commissioning one of the trader experts expert in their spec to inspect and find a genuine example would be the only way I'd consider buying one. Given the discipline that Peter has observed preserving his cars original equipment it will be interesting to see how other owners have managed (or not) to maintain their cars original equipment.

Mick Richards

There is unlikely to be a TR 5 anywhere that's got all it's original parts, even in dry, salt free places things wear out and break.

Originality is important (to many vital)but not in my view as important as having the car how you like it. I took my first 5 back to original specification, replacing hideous bucket seats with an original pair and silver Minilites with wires. I sold it easily for a handsome profit, but I always regretted letting it go. So much so, that I contacted the owner to see if he would sell it back to me after a couple of years but unfortunately, it had been stolen from his garage, never to be seen again.

The 5 I bought had wires and it's original black interior, it needed a lot of work and the side light/indicators and chrome strips were in the wrong place!

I've replaced the wires with black and silver rimmed Minilites, re-dyed the vinyl Matador Red and refurbished the seats with matching red leather covers. The black wheels look fabulous with a white car, are easy to keep clean and I've always wanted a white 5 with a red interior. I've removed the side lights/indicators and chrome strips and didn't feel like drilling 14 new holes each side, I also prefer the look without them. I've also fitted an electric fan, electronic points and waterless coolant.

A purist would hate my car, although it could easily be returned to original if desired, but I have to live with it and drive it and so have it exactly as I want - non of us are going to be here for ever, so I say have it how you like it and worry not about others' opinions!

You miss the point Mike, we are not talking about replacing seats with non standard items or bolt on wheels of your choice but rather the morphing of a different model TR with added on items that purport to change it into a TR5 with it's attendant increase in price.

You can often see a TR5 advertised which when the vendor is questioned then becomes "well it's an American TR5", ...you mean a TR250 ? "...well yes but it's been brought up to the same spec as aTR5" ...but it's still a TR250 !

Remains including chassis and body plates with V5 of TR5s have been available through e bay for years and continue to be so. As I said in my earlier post I would only buy an advertised TR5 through an accredited Trader with an excellent reputation, and he with the in depth knowledge about frame and body differences that tell the tale about exactly what sort of TR I'd be buying. I fear there may be innocent owners of TRs who may not own what they think they do.

Mick Richards

As I wouldn't buy a TR as an investment, but as a fun car to drive, and as a Yank who wants LHD I have no interest in TR5s with their elevated prices and dubious condition. I'll take a rust/accident free TR250 and kit it out with cam, triple Webers, Surrey hardtop and leather seats. Then I'll have what for all intents and purposes is a " TR5 " with none of the drawbacks. Oh, wait a minute...I have one already! I should mention I'm partial to original steering wheels and seats albeit leather for the latter.

Cheers,

Tom

AUSTR5-JUNE06 006.jpg

Quite correct Tom, and buying a TR250 has strong support from me, because we'd know it as a TR250 and not a TR5 and buy it at theTR250 pricing.

Mick Richards

11 hours ago, Motorsport Mickey said:

Quite correct Tom, and buying a TR250 has strong support from me, because we'd know it as a TR250 and not a TR5 and buy it at theTR250 pricing.

Mick Richards

+1

Yes Micky I did miss the point, apologies for  not reading carefully. I agree that their is plenty of opportunity to be diddled by the unscrupulous out there. TR 250 or TR 5, 'upgraded' or original - each to his own!

Mike 5 fan

I  liked your honesty (second post on this thread) why you had the 5, and wanted it back. This is why you got your second like from me. B)

Mike

That looks beautiful Graham, hope mine looks as good when I finally collect it from the paint shop tomorrow.

Very kind, thank you.