TR4A Wiper switch Terminals.

1 hour ago, RAHTR4 said:

Hi David,

To clarify the original Lucas Spare Part Catalogues state the following :

TR4 with two speed wiper motor - switch 58SA 34477

TR4A with two-speed wiper motor - switch 58SA 35521

I have no idea why the differently identified switches were used.

This type of switch has a very robust design do not often fail, so best to carefully check out your original switch.

I do have plenty of N.O.S. 58SA switches of various part numbers should require one.

Regards, Richard

Thanks Richard. I'm a little bit away from connecting as the new wiring loom still hasn't arrived just trying to get all the various bits and bobs I'm likely to need in readiness. I'll let you know

My TR4, as with the other Works' Rally cars,  has a 2-speed wiper motor and rotary switch, probably, according to Peter W, of the type fitted to some Jaguars.  When turned OFF, it reverses the motor in order to park the wiper blades against the bottom of the screen.

I wonder whether there is such a thing as a 4 position rotary (rather than pull-push) switch which would fit the hole in the dash?  If so, someone clever could devise an arrangement to permit Off/Intermittent/Slow/Fast.

Ian Cornish

2 minutes ago, ianc said:

I wonder whether there is such a thing as a 4 position rotary (rather than pull-push) switch which would fit the hole in the dash?

Might fit? 

https://www.autoelectricsupplies.co.uk/product/209/category/42

That 4 position switch requires a 13mm diameter hole, and the switches which I have in my collection of spares all appear to have that outside diameter thread.

Looks promising, although I have no doubt that purists would wish to fit a Lucas style knob.

Ian Cornish

I found a similar 4-position switch on carbuilder.com, ref #ROSW4. 

This has 1/4" spade terminals, requires 12mm hole in a panel not exceeding 9mm thickness.

Cost is £14.40 (might need VAT added - forgot to check) plus shipping.

Ian Cornish

Very likely the same switch, even though Auto Electric Supplies states the hole size as 13mm, whereas Car Builder states 12mm.

I'm leaving it to some clever fellow (whoops, not allowed to use that term nowadays) to devise a simple arrangement to provide the electrickery, and to devise a method of attaching a fixing for a Triumph-style knob.

Ian Cornish