13 hours ago, ntc said:

One of the components needs to have a leading edge this is for the above and also helps disengagement that is why many have had problems with so called high toque starters

Thanks Neil,

but why would 2 bevels Facing each other wear out quicker? That was a statement from a workshop in Richard’s post above.

Maybe less contact surface when in full contact (less tooth width in contact)?

Cheers,

Waldi

4 hours ago, Waldi said:

Thanks Neil,

but why would 2 bevels Facing each other wear out quicker? That was a statement from a workshop in Richard’s post above.

Maybe less contact surface when in full contact (less tooth width in contact)?

Cheers,

Waldi

Surely the contact area would be the same whichever side is bevelled?

Pete

Pete, I think not. If the ring is bevelled at the same side as where the pinion enters, that bevel on the ring does not support the pinion when fully engaged

Cheers,

Waldi

On 4/3/2020 at 6:03 PM, ntc said:

One of the components needs to have a leading edge this is for the above and also helps disengagement that is why many have had problems with so called high toque starters

And why we had to take a trip to Stanwoods to get a new ring gear fitted the right way round on Em`s car ;)

Stuart

On 4/3/2020 at 8:38 AM, ntc said:

In order to aid a starter drive pinion into mesh with a rotating ring gear 

The ring gear shouldn't be rotating when the starter is engaged. We know what happens when engaging the starter on a running engine; it fails to engage but makes a terrible racket.

Inspecting my spare TR250 engine last week it clearly has the chamfer on the rear face, and the starter was working just fine ( as was the motor; I swapped it for a Webered one from my crashed car ). 

Tom