1972 TR6 not starting after refitting cylinder head

A question. Why torque the head down to 65lbft? The book says 80lbft. Not having it torqued down runs a higher risk of blowing the gasket or worse.

Trever,

succes:)

If you torque the head further, the gasket may be compressed a bit more and this will reduce valve clearances, so check your valve clearances after torquing.

Waldi

Yes, because half of the bolts is below the rocker shaft. This will also disturb valve clearances.

Regards,

Waldi

1 hour ago, Waldi said:

Yes, because half of the bolts is below the rocker shaft. This will also disturb valve clearances.

Regards,

Waldi

Hi Waidi,

Not strictly true if you have a set of crow's feet adaptors as they are designed for this type of application where you cannot get directly get on to the hexagon with a socket! I am not certain as to why the head was not fully torqued up in the first place? A lot of testing went into finding out the correct torque and compression of the head gasket bearing in mind that Triumph had problems with head gaskets on early 6 cylinder engines hence the later type with modified fire rings, counter sunk grooves in block and modified strengthen blocks.

Bruce. 

Good points raised, the Haynes manual I have specifies 65-70 lb ft. I had planned to torque up to 70 on the re torque exercise. Is it the works manual that's says 80 lb ft? Please could this be confirmed. Mine although a CP engine is later than CP75000 and has the later block as Bruce discusses. Thanks again Trevor

I've just researched on line and found the factory TR6 repair manual and this gives a definitive 80 lb ft.

My manual is TR6 Part No 545277 Issue 1. It says 80lbft.

I also have a CR block in my CP car, with CP head, metering unit etc. I assumed the same torque settings.

Edited by John McCormack

John, Perfect, the issue I picked was Issue 2; nice to see good alignment! I'll probably do this next Wednesday. Many thanks again.

Today (Wednesday) I retorqued the head the head to 80 lb ft and reset the valve clearances. The engine is running nicely, although I have had to re bleed 5&6 injectors a number of times before all was well. 

Next job is to drain some water off and Re introduce antifreeze. 

Getting there! Thanks Trevor

• 2 weeks later...

Hi all, final catch up. Cars been going okay until I went to a club meeting a week last Tuesday and the dreaded rich fume smell was all too obvious at all speeds. I had the hood up. Anyway today I’d thought I do the basics and do the tongue vacuum test on the metering unit hose. The engine was running initially and I want to undue the hose attached to the manifold and as I touched it the engine note changed! It was lose and I wasn’t getting the full vacuum in the hose. So simple! While in the mood I attached my pressure gauge to the fuel supply line by the metering unit T piece I have in place. The supply pressure on battery was 80psi and slightly higher with the engine running. I adjusted the spillback valve in the boot to just over 100psi engine running.  I was a little surprised at the lower reading. I had changed the suction filter a couple of years ago. This is something I should keep an eye on more regularly and buy a spare filter too. 

Best regards Trevor