https://www.classiccarleds.co.uk/collections/indicator-relays-electronic/products/12v-electronic-indicator-flasher-relay-classic-car-with-oe-click-x-l-p-2-3-pin?variant=8299346853983

These are available in +ve or -ve earth.  Intended for use with LED bulbs, but work perfectly well with ordinary bulbs.

Bob.

P.S.      If you ever consider upgrading to LED rear bulbs I can help you out !

24 minutes ago, Lebro said:

https://www.classiccarleds.co.uk/collections/indicator-relays-electronic/products/12v-electronic-indicator-flasher-relay-classic-car-with-oe-click-x-l-p-2-3-pin?variant=8299346853983

These are available in +ve or -ve earth.  Intended for use with LED bulbs, but work perfectly well with ordinary bulbs.

Bob.

Bob

would this relay speed up the flash rate in a 3a with traditional bulbs ?

H

Hi Hamish.

Depends on what flash rate you currently have !  The flash rate with these is independent of what type of bulb you use, & is the "correct" rate.

Bob

With the old tin can, containing a bi-metallic strip, one is aware immediately if one of the trafficator bulbs has blown (or has become disconnected) because the flash rate increases.  With an electronic device such as this, I think that one would be unaware of such a condition as the flash rate would be unaffected - or am I wrong?

That said, reliability and life of the reproduction tin can flasher units does appear to be an ongoing issue, so I can well understand folks wanting something more reliable, even if one ought to check the trafficators before setting off.  In a garage, with door shut, it's easy to check all four flashers from the driver's seat as the flashing is visible on the door and the wall.

Ian Cornish

You are not wrong Ian, & that is exactly the reason that ordinary flasher units cannot be used with LED bulbs.

However the expected lifetime of an LED bulb is so much greater than filament types that bulb failure is rare.

As you say regular checking is a good idea.

Bob.

On 3/14/2019 at 5:19 PM, Lebro said:

Hi Hamish.

Depends on what flash rate you currently have !  The flash rate with these is independent of what type of bulb you use, & is the "correct" rate.

Bob

Hi bob

thanks for the advice. I too bought one of these flasher units ( neg earth type)

https://www.classiccarleds.co.uk/collections/indicator-relays-electronic/products/12v-electronic-indicator-flasher-relay-classic-car-with-oe-click-x-l-p-2-3-pin?variant=13046057991

to my mind it had increased the flash rate on my ordinary bulbs to something that is more noticeable to that which I had previously. I think I am now future proof should I wish to go led “bulbs” 

thanks for the help and advice you give the forum. 

H

this is a before and after video. 

Hamish

Now all you need to do is fit a pair of those clever LED's at the front which are white when the sidelights are on but turn to orange when indicating. You keep the original clear lamp glass, but orange indicators are more familiar to modern motorists...

The flasher units come with a rubber strap, which has a slot init so it can be pushed onto a suitable tab on the car, however, for the TR's I take a 90° steel bracket, (of the sort you would buy from a hardware store to hold kitchen cupboards together etc) cut both sides down in length, & then once inserted into the rubber strap the other side can be fitted to the same captive nut as the original flasher unit. (or lower down in my case !)

post-12009-0-14270600-1527787595_thumb.jpg   20190319_134325.thumb.jpg.27bdd8073cdc0b6729a85462bc507aca.jpg  20190319_134337.thumb.jpg.3750ae3867e60cfb963d907e054cc10f.jpg  20190319_134344.thumb.jpg.3a7358836821628720336e4018986b12.jpg

Let me know if you are thinking about going LED, I can point you in the right direction !

Bob.

Edited by Lebro

Bob,

I simplified my flasher unit fitting by using the TR4/4A method of a three Lucar receptacle screwed to the bulkhead - the flasher unit then simply plugs in. When wired correctly it is right first time if changing flasher units.  My  receptacle is from an old TR4, is Bakelite and looks quite period .

This is the sort of thing available today that I guess would do the job. 

https://www.autoelectricsupplies.co.uk/product/46/category/7

The receptacle commonly available today is the plastic one used to plug the head lamp wiring to the lamp unit/bulb that has 3 Lucar blade connections.  Be sure to mount it on a fibre pad so it cannot possibly short out on the bulkhead.

Cheers

Peter W

2 hours ago, MilesA said:

Hamish

Now all you need to do is fit a pair of those clever LED's at the front which are white when the sidelights are on but turn to orange when indicating. You keep the original clear lamp glass, but orange indicators are more familiar to modern motorists...

Plus, you could do as I have done....Also fit the Amber/White LED bulbs at the back with clear lenses and you will have built in reversing lamps with the stunningly bright amber flashers.  You do need to buy the twin filament body (same as front of TR2/3A)  for the rear and add reverse lamp wiring.  Lamp assy is pt no 1B9100  https://www.moss-europe.co.uk/front-side-flasher-lamps-tr2-3a.html 

If you have spare clear lenses already you can buy just the inner body of the lamp for half the price of the complete lamp  Part No 27H5545  https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Lucas-Repro-L594-Brake-Tail-Dual-Pole-Bulb-Fitting-Holder-Land-Rover-Series-2a-3/271957717792?hash=item3f51f17320:g:PckAAOSwT6pVzk-c&frcectupt=true

Cheers

Peter W

Ooooohhhhh there are some clever /ingenious folks out there. 

:D

thanks for sharing. I reached my electrical technical limit changing the flasher unit. 

2 hours ago, BlueTR3A-5EKT said:

Plus, you could do as I have done....Also fit the Amber/White LED bulbs at the back with clear lenses and you will have built in reversing lamps with the stunningly bright amber flashers.  You do need to buy the twin filament body (same as front of TR2/3A)  for the rear and add reverse lamp wiring.  Lamp assy is pt no 1B9100  https://www.moss-europe.co.uk/front-side-flasher-lamps-tr2-3a.html

If you have spare clear lenses already you can buy just the inner body of the lamp for half the price of the complete lamp  Part No 27H5545  https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Lucas-Repro-L594-Brake-Tail-Dual-Pole-Bulb-Fitting-Holder-Land-Rover-Series-2a-3/271957717792?hash=item3f51f17320:g:PckAAOSwT6pVzk-c&frcectupt=true

Cheers

Peter W

Peter. The lamp unit you describe is only used on later TR3's & 3A's   TR2s & early 3s used  this one 3H3055  which recesses the bulb further into the holder, & uses a flat lens.

But I guess you knew that really :ph34r:

Bob

P.S.    I'm surprised you need reversing lights with my rear LEDs !!

Edited by Lebro

oops.  As it is a suggestion for the rear flasher lamp to be modified to accept a twin filament bulb, I had always thought the rear flasher was to be of the later proud fitting bulb type.

This is not and excuse.....

I agree the front lamp TR2/3 is the recessed type.  According to the parts book the separate rear indicator lamps change at TS15601 (!)  The later, post TS15601, type being, I guess,  with the proud bulb.  Oddly the rear panel change, that I thought wase when separate rear indicators arrived,  is a TS16473 - so what is that all about?  Has anyone in USA, Holland, or Belgium got one of these pre TS15600 export cars with separate rear flashers?  Or am I off at a tangent here?

Cheers

Peter W

PS Yes I know the parts books are not always correct.

Edited by BlueTR3A-5EKT

A new member joined us at last months Thames Valley meet, he had just purchased a TR3, but it had the rear end with separate indicators. it looked like a genuine one to me, but of course it could have been fitted later following a crash or refurb. Don't remember the commision No. but the owner thought it was a very late '3.

Bob.