I have in the past used Klingersil material to make gasket I have recently made one for an early thermostat housing I restored. It is extremely hard if you have surfaces that can not be flattened sufficiently. e.g where thermostat seats in housing.

Can someone suggest an alternative that has slightly more give? I need to make another for my early thermostat

Silicone RTV types etc are not an option. 

Rod

Hi Roger/Bob,

ordered some from a different supplier as that one was out of stock.

Roger,

What was the status of your of your top plate?

They always seem to be quite heavily pitted and an open gasket allows contact directly with the surface. I'm going to try a full gasket bonded to the plate in an effort to make it last as long as possible. What was your sender bulb area like as I have gone for an adapter to allow for later removal should it be necessary, the threads and chamfer were a bit iffy to create a good seal.

Rgds

Rod

Hi Geko,

Do you mean apart from the the excess squished out internally blocking the thermostat, water gallery, getting in water pump seal.

I'll stick with gasket material until someone demonstrates that it is a viable alternative that you can accurately monitor the excess.

Use it on engine seals and run the risk of blocking an oilway at your peril !!

I agree with you Marko and this method has been used for 50 years plus but in this case I need a thicker than normal gasket.

Rod

Rod,

goingback to your original issue: why do you not flatten the aluminium thermostat house on a flat plate with sanding paper? My housing gasket face was also warped a bit and 5 mins of sanding made i nice and flat. If the gap between housing and pump house is smaller than say 0.05 to 0.1 mm, a standard gasket will suffice. 

Bolt the therm housing without the gasket and measure the gap with a feeler gauge.

Waldi

Done that. The issue is the recess for the thermostat which has been eaten away and flatting the faces has only reduces the clearance. The raised lip on the Thermostat should sit flush with the surface of the housing. 

i am reluctant to grind further material away to allow lowering of the thermostat., hence the thicker gasket.

Rod