Hi TRevor,

Rodbr on the TR3 forum has had a similar battle and ended up with a viton seal. Send him a PM for info.

How are the seals being eaten.  

Has the timing chain cover still got its alignment dowels?

Is the hub seal surface rough/worn?

Roger

I think many of our engines suffer leakage from both ends! Rear oil seal & timing cover seal seem to leak with monotonous regularity in my experience. I have one car that has always had the rear leakage & the other one with timing cover leakage despite meticulous cleaning & fitting of a new seal & cover gasket with exact torques on the bolts. Still leaks!

Hello Trevor

Try putting a can of Wynn's engine stop leak into the engine. Not sure quite how it works but reduced oil leaks on my TR4A. I have also used Wynn's power steering fluid stop leak - worked a treat on a Mini One that had power steering fluid dripping out of a seal.

Keith

Trevor,

If you think like I did perhaps crankcase pressure is the issue I suggest you do a compression check and if you have no more than 8-10psi difference across all four cylinders chances are this is not the issue. This is not repeat not a definitive test but more of a guide to condition.

The leak stop stuff supposedly conditions the seals and gives them a new lease on life, hmmm~! perhaps, in my case the leak was dramatic but the final conclusion was that the wrong seal was fitted and the "leather" outer had hardened and the inner had cut up due to flaked paint of the seal. Unless changing oil which is a good idea after the work is done then it can't do any harm to put in Leak stop, ( suggest Lucas Leak Stop). IMHO by the time you are aware of a TR oil leak it is already too late for this solution to have much effect, in any case it is a stop gap delay formula. You will need to sort it eventually

I think that original fitment of oil seal used a leather seal which is good for a while but will eventually fail this applies to rear axle particularly. This is obviously not the case but it can damage the pulley shaft which can be sorted by fitting Easi sleeve.

I think a non oil leaking (from somewhere at least) TR is one of life's rarities! The whole design front & rear was rubbish in those years & not meant to last anywhere near what we hope for today. Not just TR's mind, many cars of that era had the same system. I could never get a sealed timing cover on Minis in the sixties however many damn times I refitted the case!

The only place my TR drops oil from is the snorkle breather, & a bit from the gearbox & axle.

Rear crank seal was fitted by Triumph circa 1965, & the front one by me 2013 after changing timing chain & tensioner.

Bob.

16 hours ago, Lebro said:

The only place my TR drops oil from is the snorkle breather, & a bit from the gearbox & axle.

Rear crank seal was fitted by Triumph circa 1965, & the front one by me 2013 after changing timing chain & tensioner.

Bob.

Still can't leave it parked on someone's pristine driveway though Bob!