• 2 weeks later...

Also have squealing Mintex 1144 pads. Bought them after seeing people (including myself) frying breaks at Spa. Work really well but do squeal somewhat. Sometimes I don't mind as it wakes up other drivers.

But would like to solve it if possible.

Cheers

Tim

Hi,

Many years ago I had a Mk1 Golf GTI, dreadful brakes usually attributed to the RHD conversion, I fitted 1144 pads which gave me almost nornal stopping power and worked very well from cold. Downside was pad squeal, again fine under moderate to heavy braking but very noisy around town/light braking. I tried all the usual fixes but never totally cured it. I did continue with them and when worn replaced with the same. It was worth putting up with the squeal for the brake improvement.

Even then it had the warning on the box for racing only.

I am aware that Mintex now do a classic road pad, this may have the benefits of 1144 without the disadvantages, perhaps some have had experience of using them.

Regards,

John

Had the squealing issue with 1144s on the Stag (but not on the TRs although the 6 has with other pads) more in hope than expectation I fitted some anti-squeal shims (looked to be a flat shim of stainless steel so unlikely to change the point of first contact of the pad on disc), yet it has cured the problem.

The pins were already free (they don't go through the pads on a Stag) and the pads free in the caliper.

Also have squealing Mintex 1144 pads. Bought them after seeing people (including myself) frying breaks at Spa. Work really well but do squeal somewhat. Sometimes I don't mind as it wakes up other drivers.

But would like to solve it if possible.

Cheers

Tim

Refer to earlier post

"Often the disc has been "burnished" by the old pad and fitting new pads without aggressive bedding in merely transfers the polished surface from disc to new pad material. Try breaking the disc surface polish with an 80 grit or less number emery to help provide an initial "bite" to bed the pads in ( make sure you use breathing mask protection)."

The two components need to be "glaze" busted together, new pads are fine but need an abrasive surface to help bedding in, the original discs if prepared as above will give it your best chance. By all means fit anti squeal shimming also, whatever the component is that stops the squealing on your car.

Mick Richards

Hi,

Many years ago I had a Mk1 Golf GTI, dreadful brakes usually attributed to the RHD conversion, I fitted 1144 pads which gave me almost nornal stopping power and worked very well from cold. Downside was pad squeal, again fine under moderate to heavy braking but very noisy around town/light braking. I tried all the usual fixes but never totally cured it. I did continue with them and when worn replaced with the same. It was worth putting up with the squeal for the brake improvement.

Even then it had the warning on the box for racing only.

I am aware that Mintex now do a classic road pad, this may have the benefits of 1144 without the disadvantages, perhaps some have had experience of using them.

Regards,

John

Hi John,

I made a numbering mistake earlier (see Mickey's correct Mintex pad numbering). The 1144's squealed horribly for me so I changed to the 1109 material which Revington recommended. Instantly no more squealing & their performance pretty good & very little difference from the 1144's.

Cheers.