I have a TR3a with an overdrive. It is an A Type box from a saloon with a saloon overdrive that has been rebuilt by ORS to convert it to a TR unit.

I am planning to change the oil soon and looking at the underside of the box there is a drain plug in the box and a large brass flat disc shaped item at the bottom of the overdrive with rectangular notches around the perimeter.

Can I drain the complete gearbox and overdrive unit by just removing the drain plug under the gearbox or do I need to remove the brass thingie as well?

Rgds Ian

I have a TR3a with an overdrive. It is an A Type box from a saloon with a saloon overdrive that has been rebuilt by ORS to convert it to a TR unit.

I am planning to change the oil soon and looking at the underside of the box there is a drain plug in the box and a large brass flat disc shaped item at the bottom of the overdrive with rectangular notches around the perimeter.

Can I drain the complete gearbox and overdrive unit by just removing the drain plug under the gearbox or do I need to remove the brass thingie as well?

Rgds Ian

Hi Ian

I would do both as you can clean the strainer and magnets in the big brass thingie. Fingers crossed there are no bits on the magnets and strainer. By doing both you drain the box and overdrive.

Hi Ian

I would do both as you can clean the strainer and magnets in the big brass thingie. Fingers crossed there are no bits on the magnets and strainer. By doing both you drain the box and overdrive.

+1

Ian,

All good advice and the best way, however I think if you do this and refill to the level plug, when the car is run and overdrive used the level will drop below the level plug height again as the overdrive unit holds some oil. So you should really re-check the level and top up. You could do it all in the garage on axle stands as long as the car is safe and level.

Regards,

John

• 1 month later...

I know this has been covered loads of times, but I am having some trouble in the search facilities.

I have a car with a ZF Limited slip gearbox that may or may not have some brass parts and therfore originally GL4 was specified.

I have read that synthetic 75/90 or Castrol 80/90 hypoy is good.

I am pretty sure that our overdrive gearbox specs would probabaly also meet.

As I am overseas so its a bit harder to find good stuff.

Can someone write a list of the gearbox oils that includes the most easily types to find, so I can see whats available locally.

Cheers

I know this has been covered loads of times, but I am having some trouble in the search facilities.

I have a car with a ZF Limited slip gearbox that may or may not have some brass parts and therfore originally GL4 was specified.

I have read that synthetic 75/90 or Castrol 80/90 hypoy is good.

I am pretty sure that our overdrive gearbox specs would probabaly also meet.

As I am overseas so its a bit harder to find good stuff.

Can someone write a list of the gearbox oils that includes the most easily types to find, so I can see whats available locally.

Cheers

There was a pretty good article on gearbox oils in the Traction magazine a couple of issues back. I took a scanned copy. If you would like me to email it to you, send me a PM with your email address. I can't guarantee it will answer your specific question but it is a good place to start.

Rgds Ian

If its a transaxle box with an LSD fitted then it might be better to talk to ZF`s tech department about their recommendations based on the model number of the box as any LSD requires a special oil anyway or else it will tend to make grinding noises and it wont do the plates much good..

Stuart.

ORS can supply a special tool to undo that large brass ring - much better than battering it with a cold chisel!

Ian Cornish

ORS can supply a special tool to undo that large brass ring - much better than battering it with a cold chisel!

Ian Cornish

I managed to pick up a C spanner that fitted at a recent autojumble - cost a fiver.

Rgds Ian

Stuart and Shaun I have read a lot of stuff on the sites such as Pantera, GT40 and Lancia 037.

I want a safe equivalent in easy to find format.

No Redline here.

Nothing Castrol etc as an alternative ?

What about Castrol Syntrans transaxle 75/90 this is a gl4+

Edited by Rem18