I have a 1971 TR6 which I bought in June last year, a pleasure to drive and goes very well the only thing missing is the overdrive.

The man I bought it off had replaced the gearbox and overdrive with a reconditioned one, the only thing was that the solinoid was not connected.

I have a Haynes manual for the car but the cable colour marking on the wires goung to and the single cable on the solinoid bears no resemblance to the circut diagram in the book I dont want to make a blind connection and maybe cause some damage so can anybody offer any advice?

Tommy.

Hi Tommy, welcome to the forum!

There is good information and help here.

Search for overdrive or overdrive wiring or similar.

This is best done via google.

I ordered a new harness for my Atype OD, cheap and better quality than making one myself.

Good luck,

Waldi

Tommy,

to add to all the excellent info already given, your A type should have a relay on the nearside inner wing. If you select 3rd 4th and also if wired as orig, 2nd gear, with the ignition on you should hear the relay click loudly, moving the gear lever to any other position, i.e. 1st/reverse/neutral the relay should drop out and be re-energised with a click when a correct gear is selected. This should prove the correct operation of the interlock switches and all the other wiring except the power wire from the relay to the actual solenoid.

Good luck,

John

Hi Tommy,

welcome to the forum.

Have a look here http://www.advanceautowire.com/tr2506.pdf

The colours are Yellow, Yellow/Purple, Yellow/Green and Black

Do you know if it is an 'A' or 'J' type OD.

Roger

Unless it is an 'A' Type from a Vanguard or Tri 2000/2.5.......when the solenoid is horizontal.

I'd say look for the big brass screw-in plug in the bottom of the overdrive as a second check for being 'A' Type.

Peter W

Unless it is an 'A' Type from a Vanguard or Tri 2000/2.5.......when the solenoid is horizontal.

I'd say look for the big brass screw-in plug in the bottom of the overdrive as a second check for being 'A' Type.

Peter W

Also the name plate on the O/D for a genuine TR6 O/D unit will start with 22/ for an A Type and 25/ for a J Type.

Bruce.

Hi Tommy

If you want to know anything about TR overdrives look here - http://www.buckeyetriumphs.org/technical/technical.htm

WWW.buckeyetriumphs.org/technical is one of the best Triumph TR technical websites. Restored my TR frrom a basket case with a lot of help from Buckeye Triumphs.

Hope this helps

Bill

Edited by wheeler