Seat Belt Mounting with MX5 Seats

Good afternoon All

With standard seats fitted in my TR4a I have always had the inertia reel fitted at the bottom of the B post, but with MX5s fitted it fouls the seat and recliner mechanism.

Im guessing the reel needs to be relocated and wondered what arrangement is best used?

Also Ive fitted the TR Trader brackets,but the literature suggests modifying the seat bucket to mount the seat in it's lowest position, ie without the additional nut between frame and floor mount. As the seats are newly covered I want to avoid modification, so what is the lowest you can get away with without the additional nut ( I could space it with washers so is there a rule of thumb depth measurement for a spacer ) ?

Comments appreciated.

Regards

Kevin

Hi Kevin on BUO (TR6) the inertia real is located up on the wheel arch where the rear parcel shelf meets it, as for the TR Trader brackets if you don't fit the lower nut to the rear studs the seat will foul on the studs and reduce rewards travel you could simply trim 15MM of the studs and use a singe nut fitting and the seat will slide over the stud, this is what I have done for the TR£ and the seat pans are unmodified, I did however remove the seat belt bracket so I could move the seats further in board to allow the recliner mechanism to clear the B post.

Edited by Graham

Hi Graham

Many thanks for the info. I think I'll try the standard position first, as it's only the depth of a nut anyway, but interesting that you were able to use the lowered position without modification to the seat pan. Really, the base of the seat needs to be modified prior to them being trimmed. Part of the instruction is to cut and then flatten the rear seat mountings. Fine... but what happens if the cut starts to split?

I'll move the inertia reel to the wheel arch, and that should solve the issue, as the seats have already had the integral seat belt mountings removed .

Kevin

Edited by boxofbits

Also on the inner wheel arch, with a large spreader washer inside the arch.

I have the Moss inertia belts that allow angled fitment by 'Dialling in' the angle away from the horizontal,

gives the belt a bit of a start on an angular path up to the shoulder.

John.

Also on the inner wheel arch, with a large spreader washer inside the arch.

I have the Moss inertia belts that allow angled fitment by 'Dialling in' the angle away from the horizontal,

gives the belt a bit of a start on an angular path up to the shoulder.

John.

Hi John

That's what I was concerned about, that the reel might not retract properly. The retraction didn't work that well even when mounted vertically on the 'B' post. So Moss do a kit which mounts it at more of a vertical angle.

The belts I use are Securon, and I believe they came from Moss a few years back.

Regards

Kevin

Hi Kevin,

Moss No;- SBS 514/45, though looking at the moment they are NCA.

Made by Securon, they allow fitting at an angle to the horizontal so don't 'Pull' to one side and prevent

sticking on retraction, they've worked well for me.

John.

Hi Kevin,

I used Securon 3-point belts on my TR4a. I mounted the ratchets to the lower rear wheel arches. I have seats from a 95 Mx5 Special Edition. I also found some seat belt guides on EBay that I attached to the headrests.

Jim

post-14401-0-88975800-1522066954_thumb.jpegpost-14401-0-78989600-1522067033_thumb.jpegpost-14401-0-56461100-1522067100_thumb.jpeg

Hi Kevin,

I used Securon 3-point belts on my TR4a. I mounted the ratchets to the lower rear wheel arches. I have seats from a 95 Mx5 Special Edition. I also found some seat belt guides on EBay that I attached to the headrests.

Jim

CD0A57F6-374D-4DD0-B507-96C18AC1B94C.jpeg FCF8775C-0E4F-4F39-84C5-AA926623B0D7.jpeg 709BA27F-B565-4CCA-BA6C-7F44DA3D4D93.jpeg

Hi John / Jim

Thanks for the info. I can see from the photos they are mounted at the bottom of the wheel arch so I guess this is the recommended position ?

I cannot remember if in the seat belt pack they supply different mounting brackets?

Kevin

If the reels are mounted like that pictured above then the recommended way is to run through a belt bracket at the top of the arch and then forward so they are at the correct angle to your shoulder. The Reels that will sit at any angle can be mounted on top of the arch but need bracketing to clear the hood frame unless you have a Surrey

Stuart.

If the reels are mounted like that pictured above then the recommended way is to run through a belt bracket at the top of the arch and then forward so they are at the correct angle to your shoulder. The Reels that will sit at any angle can be mounted on top of the arch but need bracketing to clear the hood frame unless you have a Surrey

Stuart.

Hi Stuart

From what you say I think Id prefer those mounted on the top of the arch in that case, especially as the pull on the belt is in a straighter line to the shoulder and wouldnt then need belt guides? Are they available as a kit from Moss do you know?

Thanks

Kevin

Yes I should have mentioned that the Securon belts allow the retractor to be positioned at any angle. Originally I was going to mount them near the top of the arch, but had clearance issues with the top frame. Using the seat belt guides I found in Ebay, I could get the correct belt angle over my shoulder. Note that most Mx5 seats have solid tops (no detachable headrests) so my mounting method probably wouldnt work for those.

BTW - after those pictures were taken, I added a roll bar, so I modified the seat belt routing again. Ill take a picture of that when I get a chance.

Jim