The ignition light provides the field of the alternator with 12 v, so if its not lit with the engine off then you probably arent getting a charge.

I’d need to look at the circuit diagram to propose a diagnostic

Steve

The red warning light on my TR4a ( fitted with alternator ) sometimes doesn't light when the ignition key is turned, but once running it charges fine.

I think it's a problem with the alternator regulator more than the bulb circuit but as yet have not investigated further.

Kevin

Good point Kevin

Nick, does your alternator have an internal or external regulator?

Steve

If the light was working with the new harness and alternator then the conections would be ok, if you have a Kobota alternator the voltage regulator could be the problem. Some of them dont have an ignition light circuit even though there is a plug for it, i found one on ebay from South Korea that works Alternator Voltage Regulator GNR-N001 For Komatsu, Yale, Kubota | eBay

Graham