triumph racing green or conifer?

Visiting brains:

How many Triumph racing greens are there, and are they the same as conifer?

I am trying to match the paint on my '4. According to receipts last owner sprayed it Triumph Conifer in December 91 supplied by Autopaint in Peterborough, But its a different colour to the 2006 Conifer I get mixed locally. My colour is much greener, something closer to BMC BRG type 75. The Autopaint colour has more black in it. It looks like a lighter version of Jaguar racing green. Its not Mallard which is bluer.

It could be a difference in the way the paints mix up, but I have two old receipts about 6 months apart and the car is the same colour all over/inside and out.

I seem to recall that Triumph changed their greens at some time, anybody got any thoughts. I could try to match to a swatch, but just at the moment that would entail taking off a door or the boot lid and trundling it down to the paint shop!

Any clues or suggestions welcome!

Mike

Hi Mike

No, 'Racing Green' is not the same as 'Conifer Green'.

I restored a 1963 TR4 a good while back (CT9598L - NFF756 - sadly I don't know its whereabouts now) that was a 'richer' green than my current 'Conifer' TR5.

When it came to the painting of the '4', the nearest 'stock' colour the bodyshop could get to the original unmolested colour under the Dash Top trim was I recall 'Morgan' Green - so similar to the original I was more than pleased with the outcome. I still have a couple of aerosol tins in my garage!

Not much assistance perhaps, but there is a noticable difference!

Best regards

Thanks/merci both. Seems to me since becoing a TR owner there is plenty of room in my wallet. I will take the vent in, but I know I have read somewhere about greens.....

Mike

Foot note.

I puzzled it out.

Triumph racing green and conifer are the same [Paint Code 25] - but only from 1963. Before that Triumph Racing Green was different

Foot note.

I puzzled it out.

Triumph racing green and conifer are the same [Paint Code 25] - but only from 1963. Before that Triumph Racing Green was different

I stand corrected - whilst I (along with others) consider my '5' is Conifer, I have just checked my BMIHT cert that confirms the colour as 'Triumph Racing Green' - though this is definitly a different colour to the TR4 I had... Whilst I still have a copy (?) of the BMIHT cert for that car, I do not have access to it at present.

Brgds

Edited by ianhoward

For the 1960 TR3A that I'm dong now, I couldn't get the original 1960 BRG like Triumph used back then. The paint companies have to meet certain working and environmental specs and when new requirements are published, the paint suppliers have to re-formulate all the colours using new base paint materials. But they haven't researched the 1960 Triumph BRG. They suggested DuPont Triumph Racing Green listed for a TR4. They mixed up a bit for me and the small sample looked close. So I selected to do the car with this.

But it is bluer and has less yellow that the original 1960 colour. I have had others tell me it is Conifer.

E-mail me if you want a copy of the mixing page for 128 oz can of Triumph Racing Green

Don Elliott, Montreal

Edited by Don Elliott

Hi

I am told this is BRG 1968 Paint code 74 I think. Conifer and BRG have the same paint code but the name was change to Conifer in about 1971 when I got the car I was told it was BRG but thought no it Conifer but when I look it up found both colour had same code.

Peter

Edited by peterh
  • 4 weeks later...

Don Peter

I just noticed you continued the thread.. So thank you for pix.

Sucking them out into Photoshop and resetting colour balance seems to show that Don' car is closer to conifer and Peters is closer to TRG I don't know if the attached will display on your PC but it exactly matches the local mix (left) and my car (right) The wonders of computers and digital photography!! Or it just worked out that way.

I'll see if I can get paint code 74, at least it will be an easier repeat than saying match this!

Thanx

quiote

I'll see if I can get paint code 74, at least it will be an easier repeat than saying match this!

Thanx

Except that code 74 is beige, According to Bill Piggots book which I just acquired. He also notes that pre 1963 Triumph Racig green is not the same as post 63. so back to square 1, just have to do trhings by Mark one eyeball after all.

According to Bill Piggots book which I just acquired. He also notes that pre 1963 Triumph Racing green is not the same as post 63. so back to square 1, just have to do things by Mark one eyeball after all.

There is much to be said for visual judgement. In the late 70s I had a 1965 TR4A in original 'Conifer' BRG and used touch-up cans and aerosols from Holts, Duplicolor, Panelspray, etc., variously described as Triumph Racing Green, BRG and Conifer. All were a good match, as was the 'genuine' Valentine's acrylic from the local Triumph dealer. When I bought my current 1960 TR3A, it had been resprayed by the previous owner in Conifer, which was the current Triumph version of BRG, and side-by-side the cars appeared visually to be the identical colour.

The internal TR3A panel areas which had not been resprayed clearly demonstrated the difference between the earlier TR3/3A BRG and the later TR4/4A 'Conifer' version which has a slightly bluish tint. Needless to say, over a period of years, I used the same touch-up cans and aerosols on the TR3A and when I eventually had the car resprayed, the paint was mixed by an old-school painter who used the standard Berger formula plus a little expert visual tweaking to match the touch-up colours. This has proven very successful and when the current total body rebuild is complete I would ideally like to adopt the same approach. However, the professional paintshop switch from good old cellulose to synthetic paints will probably mean such an accurate colour match will not be possible and the old touch-up paint will not be compatible. In fact I'm not sure if touch-up/aerosol cans are available for use with modern paint systems (probably not in Triumph colours at any rate). Will I need to invest in a compressor and spray-gun for future car-park scratches after all these years?

Edited by BrianC