Moss Motors (US) "No-Splash" Gasket for Girling Reservoir Cap

Moss Motors in their US catalogs and website has a gasket design for the traditional Girling metal-can hydraulic reservoir advertised as "no splash". Part number 582-505 has a ridge in the rubber around the sealing face and a closed center section vented by a narrow slit. The idea is to prevent splashing through the vent hole in the lid, of course, but one wonders if it might prevent leakage past the seal as well.

I have one set aside here, awaiting a likely winter conversion to DOT5 on my car.

Any experience anyone has would be appreciated. I don't see the part on the Moss Europe website, and don't recall it earlier than the last couple of months in Moss Motors catalogs. But at the same time the supplemental information sheet is dated 2009...

http://www.mossmotors.com/graphics/products/PDF/582-505.pdf

http://www.mossmotors.com/Shop/ViewProducts.aspx?PlateIndexID=29145#23

i-c2n72pT-X3.jpg

i-PnDwLQf-X3.jpg

Top tip Don, I've just learned what "hygroscopic" means and most importantly why there seems to be humidity percolating around the master cylinder while the car is not used and rotting everything around it ! Now whether this gasket will solve this problem is another story... As to why it's not on Moss Europe website, I think the answer is that Yanks are always ahead in developing new products.

Edited by Geko

Hello All

It looks like the type of seal fitted motorcycles to stop master cylinders leaking

Roger

Hello All

It looks like the type of seal fitted motorcycles to stop master cylinders leaking

Roger

which beg the question: Does the master cylinder on TRs really need to be vented to atmosphere?

Yes, to ensure the m/cyl contents can flow freely into the m/cyl should there be a leakage of brake fluid down below.

With no hole you would get a partial vacuum in the reservoir and the brakes would stop working earlier (in terms of number of braking cycles with a small leak).

I guess you could seal it with a flexible rubber diaphragm that would allow for volume change...

which beg the question: Does the master cylinder on TRs really need to be vented to atmosphere?

I guess you could seal it with a flexible rubber diaphragm that would allow for volume change...

Which in fact is the setup on all modern motorbikes and the shape of the Moss non-splash seal recalls that of a diaphragm

Edited by Geko

The bellows types design would allow for fluid level changes but the link to the product description says there is a small slit to allow air movement in/out.

It also says it provides some extra protection from the moisture laden air. Apart from opening to check the levels.

Looks like good simple upgrade.

AFIK these are being supplied with new canisters from Moss over here as I have already seen one

Stuart.

I sent the detail of this thread to Moss Europe and they responded that they are taking a view to put this item into stock in UK.

Their challenge will be cataloguing and notifying the TR and Healey world that they have it. - another task for the marketing dept.

They have said they will notify me when it comes into stock. Moss Europe Pt No will probably be either 582-505 or MM582-505

Peter W