Hi all

Just been looking through a great set of high quality photos from the concours event held at this year's IWE.

Out of interest is TR4 NFO 768 in the pictures painted in a factory colour, as it seems to have an orange tint? If so, which colour is it? Either way it's a fantastically turned out car and deserved an award.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/115740825@N05/sets/72157683290363124

Kevin

Looks like signal red to me as well.

Maybe it's the tint on your computer screen?

Or maybe it's the shade of undercoat - signal red

is very sensitive to the colour of the undercoat.

AlanR

Thanks Andy and Alan, Signal Red it must be then.

I'm viewing on an iPad and not sure how good they are on true colours, as the Magenta TR6 looks a little dark to me?

One thing is certain, the bold colours they used look magnificent when highly polished, and much better for me to look at than today's wishy washy colours used in basecoat and lacquer.

They all look like they've just rolled off the production line, and a real credit to the owners.

Kevin

Thanks Andy and Alan, Signal Red it must be then.

I'm viewing on an iPad and not sure how good they are on true colours, as the Magenta TR6 looks a little dark to me?

One thing is certain, the bold colours they used look magnificent when highly polished, and much better for me to look at than today's wishy washy colours used in basecoat and lacquer.

They all look like they've just rolled off the production line, and a real credit to the owners.

Kevin

Kevin,

Yes, the TR4 is Signal Red and I think you'll find the 'Magenta' TR6 is actually Damson.

I agree the evocative TR colours used in the 50s, 60s and 70s are stunning, I particularly like the Saffron TR6...................................but I would say that wouldn't I, and I also agree the photos are great and mostly taken by Pogo (Roger Hinds) on my Nikon.

Cheers

Andrew

All of the reds look slightly more orange than traditional Signal Red on my MacBook Air, a non-calibrated display. I'd guess it has something to do with either Andrew's camera settings (possibly white balance in combination with flash), or with illumination in the hall. Andrew's definitely a good photographer, so I'm guessing something in lighting at the venue.

One of our forum friends here has a car that's definitely not Signal Red -- he's repainted it in Porsche Guards Red.

i-zBCQHZM-X3.jpg

Hi Andrew / Don

Your TR6 has good attention to detail which makes it stand out, and the photography brings out the lines well. Did you use a factory colour match for the silver wheels btw?

BL's later range of colours are growing on me ( about time I suppose!) . Don, my iPad appears to display reds with an orange tint also as per you MacBook, and as far as I know you can't calibrate an iPad.

I read an article by a former Top Gear photographer who said the best times to photograph cars are just after dawn, or late evening, when the light level is lower, giving the subject use of light and shade to emphasise the body lines, and not in the mid day sun where you get little or no hues, shadow or tonal range and just a load of glare from the sun.

It would be an interesting combination to see an earlier TR painted in BL's later colours such as Magenta, Damson, Pimento, or Saffron.

Does anyone own such a TR?!

Kevin

Edited by boxofbits

Hi Kevin, The two TR6's shown in Andrews photo's DSC 0374 & 5 are both Damson but totally different in colour.

Needless to say that both looked fabulous.

Magenta is the colour I always wanted on a TR6 but then when I saw one in the flesh thought it was too purple

Rex

You are always going to get colour differences now due to the fact that you can no longer buy genuine "Factory mixed" paint Even back in the days when these cars were new there was still no guarantee that the paint you bought would match!

As most cars these days are painted in either 2K or water based then the colour differences will be down to the tinters as every paint manufacturer has slightly different sets and then there is also the difference when it comes to using Cellulose. That type of paint looks very different when photographed as well due to the "depth of shine" which is very different to any other type of paint. Lots of paint manufacturers have also discontinued the formulae for the earlier colours so even with a spectrum analysis of original colour all your going to get is the nearest "Modern" colour available plus instructions to add certain tinters and the result of that is entirely down to the skill of the guy mixing the paint.

A good example of this is the Royal Blue that my 4a is painted in. The colour it was painted in when it was first done 25yrs ago was a mix from Lechler using an original formula by my then local paint factors. This has held up well over the years but when I had to get it repainted due to damage last year I knew it would be fun to get a match as we had been experiencing difficulty with that particular colour coming out too purple and I had used up the very last of my original a few years ago when I fitted the Surrey.

I sent my vent flap to my paint supplier (Ken and Lyn paints) and Ken spent about a week checking through all the early mixes and cross referencing them and he came up with an absolutely perfect match by using an Aston Martin colour but with the white removed.

Stuart.

post-3753-0-34443400-1501576647_thumb.jpg

Edited by stuart

Hi Andrew / Don

Your TR6 has good attention to detail which makes it stand out, and the photography brings out the lines well. Did you use a factory colour match for the silver wheels btw?

BL's later range of colours are growing on me ( about time I suppose!) . Don, my iPad appears to display reds with an orange tint also as per you MacBook, and as far as I know you can't calibrate an iPad.

I read an article by a former Top Gear photographer who said the best times to photograph cars are just after dawn, or late evening, when the light level is lower, giving the subject use of light and shade to emphasise the body lines, and not in the mid day sun where you get little or no hues, shadow or tonal range and just a load of glare from the sun.

It would be an interesting combination to see an earlier TR painted in BL's later colours such as Magenta, Damson, Pimento, or Saffron.

Does anyone own such a TR?!

Kevin

Kevin,

The rims on my TR6 were colour matched with the original spare which is still it original factory paint - not a perfect match but it's as close as it can be.

The attention to detail you refer to is not mine but the factory's as my car is unrestored and original, including the paintwork - you may be interested in this Triumph World article: imTriumph World: Aug-Sep 17 and these Photos

Cheers

Andrew

Edited by Andrew Smith

...A good example of this is the Royal Blue that my 4a is painted in...

So that's your car after having been put back together, Stuart? It looks terrific!

This has held up well over the years but when I had to get it repainted due to damage last year I knew it would be fun to get a match as we had been experiencing difficulty with that particular colour coming out too purple and I had used up the very last of my original a few years ago when I fitted the Surrey.

I sent my vent flap to my paint supplier (Ken and Lyn paints) and Ken spent about a week checking through all the early mixes and cross referencing them and he came up with an absolutely perfect match by using an Aston Martin colour but with the white removed.

Stuart.

IMG_4695.jpg

The car does look good. I have dealt with Ken over the phone and at Beaulieu and if he can't get a near perfect match I shouldn't think anyone can. I know when I had the Cooper sprayed they only showed Rover Old English White in the swatches, which was very different from the two shades of Old English White used by BMC, but they did get it as near as.

It would be interesting to see for example an earlier TR4a in BL's later colours of Magenta or Saffron for instance complete with the black screen surround.

Kevin

Edited by boxofbits

So that's your car after having been put back together, Stuart? It looks terrific!

Thats actually an older picture these are more recent and I have since put the bumpers back for a bit.

Stuart.

post-3753-0-94091500-1501663885_thumb.jpgpost-3753-0-54146800-1501663888_thumb.jpgpost-3753-0-21573900-1501663890_thumb.jpgpost-3753-0-00587700-1501663892_thumb.jpg

Yes they came from Car Builder solutions, they are exactly the same as were fitted to my car when it was in the US.

https://www.carbuildersolutions.com/uk/chrome-rectangular-pedestal-mirror-135mm

Stuart.

Edited by stuart