Radiator support rod rubber mounting?

There's been discussion on here in years past about using rubber washers or grommets to mount the radiator support rods to the inner wing brackets. The idea is to isolate the radiator from vibration and potential fracture of the mounts.

The radiator on my car was just repaired for a cracked mount and as it goes back in I wanted to rubber isolate the support struts. Moss show a combination of grommet and washer, but frankly, looking at the parts, I can't imagine they're anything like what would have been used originally. IF something was used originally, that is... The photos in my archives of unmolested original TRs don't show an original car with any rubber isolation on the rods.

Does anyone have any info on what might have been original? Or current best practice?

I don't think any rubber was used originally, but it is probably a good idea.

If I were doing it I would probably fit a thick washer (or maybe a grommet) on both sides of the body mounting tab, with largish washers between the nuts, & the rubber.

Bob.

I thought about that too..:

- The TR4 radiator ist mounted with special grommets & washers

- The hole in the body mounting tabs onthe front inner wing are to small for grommets.

- The space inside these tabs is limited

I did install (thin) rubber "washers" from cut down grommets - maybe it helps a bit.

Regards, Johannes

Don

I think you took a picture of Geoffrey's set up? Much the same as Bob describes. Almost certainly not original ???? but it seems to do the trick.

Here's the radiator support is TS27XXLO, and unrestored long door TR2. As best I know this is as original, although there is a chance the front end was off circa 1955-57 on this car.

i-qXxFWt5.jpg

Here are the radiator supports on TS669XXL, another unrestored original car, this time a TR3A.

i-DRZkW6f.jpg

Here are the support rods on TCF14XXL, a one-owner TR3B, again with no evidence of rubber mounting of the struts.

i-f3xvPRD.jpg

Here's that earlier thread where our forum friend vivdownunder noted fitting rubber washers to the stay rods to prevent the header tank brackets from breaking off. I didn't have rubber on mine, and I did have a tank bracket break. It'll go back together with rubber isolation.

http://www.tr-register.co.uk/forums/index.php?/topic/47914-radiator-to-inner-wing-braces/&do=findComment&comment=383581

Yes, Ben, here's the setup on your car:

i-dqX5MvZ.jpg

..and these rubber and steel washer things ended up as Stag exhaust mountings - also used on TR3A chassis exhaust mount bracket by the gearbox.

Peter W

I bought my car in boxes back in '03. When I assembled the car to obtain a roadworthy cerficate, I had to reinstall the radiator and apron. I remember that the rods were slightly too short: I had to pull back the radiator befor the threaded ends of the rods would fit align with the hole on the inner wing. Thus causing stress on the bracket at the bottom.

After I drove the car up and down to the test station (2x 30kms) I started the resto by dismantlng the car. At a later stage, when I mounted all back together again, i made my own stays; longer than the originals.

M.

I bought my car in boxes back in '03. When I assembled the car to obtain a roadworthy cerficate, I had to reinstall the radiator and apron. I remember that the rods were slightly too short: I had to pull back the radiator befor the threaded ends of the rods would fit align with the hole on the inner wing. Thus causing stress on the bracket at the bottom.

After I drove the car up and down to the test station (2x 30kms) I started the resto by dismantlng the car. At a later stage, when I mounted all back together again, i made my own stays; longer than the originals.

M.

Perhaps the stays you were using at the radiator top mounting were the ones used on the starting handle guide (?)

Peter W