Sat in a 6 for the first time in many years.

I was surprised how little room there was between steering wheel and my legs, quite uncomfortable.

My 6 had a small steering wheel fitted and have since found and refurbished an original one.

What have you long legged folks done to get over this?

Edited by Mark69

Thanks, how much did the seat change alone make, would like to keep steering wheel, also not sure if seat was all the way back.

Tried to move it but wouldn't shift and there was quite a gap behind.

Hi Mark,

There is a Mod done by Enginenity a TR Classic Garage, where they modify the inner wheel arch that faces the back of the drivers seat. I also suspect that the seat frame base is re-sited. This then allows the d/seat to go further back. How much I do not know?

Bruce.

What Height are you Mark?

The Steering Wheel has some adjustment Backwards and Forwards on the Splines at the Bulkhead and the Seats have 2 Sets of Holes for mounting nearer or further,you really need to Free the Runners up and then decide what's the best position a 14" Steering Wheel will also give you more Room.

Thanks Niall,

6' 1", my cars still in bits Niall,best I wait till I start putting it back together and make adjustments then.

The car I sat in was in for repair at a local garage, I very cheekily popped in and spoke with the mechanic.

It as been owned by the same person for 40 plus years all original but looking a little neglected but very solid.

The seats didn't move freely on the runners,thinking now they may have been stuck in a forward position

Mark.

What Height are you Mark?

The Steering Wheel has some adjustment Backwards and Forwards on the Splines at the Bulkhead and the Seats have 2 Sets of Holes for mounting nearer or further,you really need to Free the Runners up and then decide what's the best position a 14" Steering Wheel will also give you more Room.

As by coincidence I talked to a TR6 owner last Monday. That guy was easily over 6 ft. ( Longer than I am and my length is exactly 6 ft). When he got the car he was also disappointed about the space. He told me that he'd taken out the seat and had cleaned and free'd the runners. That make a big difference. He didn't mention the adjustment of the splines.

Different approach: adjust the seat fully backwards and the back itself in the desired position. Check if there's still room between the back of the seat and the rear panel of the car. If so, that's the amount of play you have to reposition the seat runners on the floor. Since you mentioned that you're busy with the car, it is perhaps the best moment to check this.

A Dutch restorer (now sadly passed away) also did the inner wheel arch behind the seat- adjustment. Cutting away as much as possible and filling the space with a flat metal sheet, gaining about 5 -7 cm at the top.

tr6-resto-40.jpg

tr6-resto-39.jpg

tr6-resto-38.jpg

A smaller steering wheel = heavier steering, especially when you want to run the 6 on wider rubber like a lot of people do.

Edited by Menno van Rij 2

Interestingly I have just fitted MX5 seats and yes they do give more leg room and have smoother runners.. However I have also fitted a rollover bar and this reduces how far backwards you can position the seats. I didn't try it with the OE seats but suspect they may actually give more leg room than the MX5 seats when you also have a roll over bar.

Cheers

Tim

Yes the Fitting of RollBars or Hoops as in my case will restrict the Seats,mine still go all the way back on the Runners and hit the Wheel Arch but my problem is with the Recline Position as the Hoops restrict this with MK1 Seats.

Thanks, how much did the seat change alone make, would like to keep steering wheel, also not sure if seat was all the way back.

Tried to move it but wouldn't shift and there was quite a gap behind.

The seats made the most difference. I'm just under 6' 2" and even with the smaller 13" steering wheel, it was still a little tight.

Colin,

Yes that was I was concerned about so was happy to live with the slightly diminished leg room..

Cheers

Tim