TR6 Camshaft

Mick

Don't know how many miles you have done on the cam but might be worth inspecting, I had one fitted to my engine back in the 90's and lit lasted about 3000 miles before all the lobes wore off it !

but I've got a figure here from the original install sheet showing 0.024"

post-7429-0-82746700-1495629145_thumb.jpeg

So might be worth having a chat with Daryl as things may have changed since 1990 !

Edited by Graham

Them days that about how long they lasted,I had one do 40 mile.

Neil,

Where did that cam come from? Mine lasted 40+ years and was a BL replacement one but the original BL one lasted 12000 as 2 of the lobes went home!

Bruce.

Pinky, if it was fitted the wrong way round, Neil did well to get 40 miles out of it. Perhaps it was the cam lube that stretched it's working life !

Hi Mick and welcome to the forum,

I'm running a RCT 1312@ 105 cam said to be developed by Racetorations which I sourced from Piper directly after receiving (2) defective ones from Racetorations ( one of which seized in the block ) along with crowned tappets ( which began pitting the 2nd after 150 miles ) all for which I received no redress whatsoever.

The current cam has done 4000+ miles with a Racetorations supplied head with its very special valve springs and other features, and Newman followers which are flat. It's a collision cam ( lift higher than the headroom above the pistons ) which I discovered myself - no disclosure by Darryl - so I wouldn't take one X-country. It's a ripper to drive but I have another '250 which gets 10X the miles per year.

Think roulette ;) .

Cheers,

Tom

I'm running a RCT 1312@ 105 cam said to be developed by Racetorations which I sourced from Piper directly after receiving (2) defective ones from Racetorations ( one of which seized in the block ) along with crowned tappets ( which began pitting the 2nd after 150 miles ) all for which I received no redress whatsoever.

The current cam has done 4000+ miles with a Racetorations supplied head with its very special valve springs and other features, and Newman followers which are flat. It's a collision cam ( lift higher than the headroom above the pistons ) which I discovered myself - no disclosure by Darryl - so I wouldn't take one X-country. It's a ripper to drive but I have another '250 which gets 10X the miles per year.

Think roulette ;) .

Cheers,

Tom

Some have short memory's Tom ;)

The followers can be a big part of he problem They need to be flat and they need to be hard. There are, unfortunately, plenty around which are neither and will kill the cam and themselves very quickly.

Takes BIG lift to create an interference engine from a Triumph 2.5!

Nick

The followers can be a big part of he problem They need to be flat and they need to be hard. There are, unfortunately, plenty around which are neither and will kill the cam and themselves very quickly.

Takes BIG lift to create an interference engine from a Triumph 2.5!

Nick

1312 has .445" I think Edited by Graham

1312 has .445" I think

0.502" / 0.504" according to the sheet. When one of these seized in the block ( scant oil grooves in the bearing journals ) I de-clutched in time for the engine to stall before damage was done to the valves, just as the cam sprocket bolts sheared. A piston was slightly kissed so was replaced. 10.7:1 c/r ( not what I asked for, but what I got ) so head room circa 0.400".

Cheers,

Tom

Think roulette ;) .

Cheers,

Tom

I would not buy anything from them I had enough trouble over a simple thing like an alloy rocker cover. They have no proper knowledge of metallurgy or machining, I have rebuilt my engine after 40+ years and after reading all the tales of woe regarding camshafts I went for a Newman chilled cast iron cam along with their EN40B cam followers and TR5 Valve Springs from Chris Whitor as advised! So I will have to see how this performs in the long term, as I have already done over 1k since last October.

Bruce.

I've got a Newman PH2/PH3 hybrid in my Vitesse with EN40B followers. Done about 6k now and the valve clearances (checked this morning) haven't moved in that time - so I reckon it's ok.

Nick

Hi Nick,

I am led to believe that Newman is now supplying a number of the other camshaft profilers with his blanks. So that now tells a story!

Bruce.

I have the same spec Newman 4 cylinder cam in Eric and it's been fine for around 10k miles so far.

Edited by peejay4A