The Right Angle Speedo Drive #120694 for TR6

We are trying to resurrect the original Smiths Industry Tooling for this part, a very well known source of aggro with current repro parts in the market. The trouble that we have is that SI produced at least 5 or 6 types that we know of and we do not know for certain the Smiths part number, so do not know which one is correct? We think it may be BG2401-05? If anyone has a 1970s Smiths after market parts catalogue, the part number will be in there or if you have an original unit there s/b a part number pressed on the unit?

If you can, please advise me of this part number.

Thanks,

Bruce.

Hi Bruce.

The number on mine from a 69 tr6 is BG2401/00attachicon.gif1493407177831748877950.jpg

I can not confirm this is orignal to car.

Mark

Thanks very much for that info! At least we got the first part of the number correct! As it has SI on it I would suspect that it is original type for a TR6?

Regards,

Bruce.

Hello Bruce, just a quick note - after having 3 of the TR Shop angle drives fail in 2000 miles, I googled around and found Speedograph Richfield are making and selling angle drives. I bought one, and had it installed about a month ago. So far so good. Physically, it doesn't look like the original, but it fits, and (so far, anyway), it works.

Regards, Austin

Hello Bruce, just a quick note - after having 3 of the TR Shop angle drives fail in 2000 miles, I googled around and found Speedograph Richfield are making and selling angle drives. I bought one, and had it installed about a month ago. So far so good. Physically, it doesn't look like the original, but it fits, and (so far, anyway), it works.

Regards, Austin

Austin,

Interesting info!

Do you happen to still have the original Smiths one? If so what is the number on the outside edge please?

Thanks,

Bruce.

We are trying to resurrect the original Smiths Industry Tooling for this part, a very well known source of aggro with current repro parts in the market. The trouble that we have is that SI produced at least 5 or 6 types that we know of and we do not know for certain the Smiths part number, so do not know which one is correct? We think it may be BG2401-05? If anyone has a 1970s Smiths after market parts catalogue, the part number will be in there or if you have an original unit there s/b a part number pressed on the unit?

Thanks,

Bruce.

In the 1990's we had samples from this company of angle drives. One was fitted on my brother's TR2 and worked fine.

http://www.veethree.com/speed-sensors.html

Peter W

PS The OE tools were wrecked in the 1990's so what they must be like today after the pirates have back-doored off them and not paid for any tool refurbs......

PPS I have one NOS example from a 1990's Smiths batch,

Edited by BlueTR3A-5EKT

Thanks,

Bruce.

AlanT on this Forum is the man to contact,he has refurbished many of these Angle Drives and has all the Tooling to Repair.

Bruce I have 2 spares and they both are 2401-05. I really had to look closely at one of these as the 5 certainly does look like a 0, but 2401-05 would appear to be the correct number.

Alan G

In the 1990's we had samples from this company of angle drives. One was fitted on my brother's TR2 and worked fine.

http://www.veethree.com/speed-sensors.html

Peter W

PS The OE tools were wrecked in the 1990's so what they must be like today after the pirates have back-doored off them and not paid for any tool refurbs......

PPS I have one NOS example from a 1990's Smiths batch,

Peter,

Did you work for Smiths? Do you have an old Smiths Aftermarket Catalogue? I had my gearbox overhauled by ORS last October, my car being an 1973 car, was not only referred to by ORS as J type O/D but also as J type gearbox. Which I had never heard of! I questioned the difference and was told, it is re-enforced more in certain areas on the webs and thickness of casting as per Stag but does not use all the same internals as the Stag. Therefore as two SI part numbers are showing up which are: BG2401 -00 and BG2401-05 What is the difference between the two? Does anybody know? As this may be a source of trouble for the repro ones?

Thanks,

Bruce.

Bruce I have 2 spares and they both are 2401-05. I really had to look closely at one of these as the 5 certainly does look like a 0, but 2401-05 would appear to be the correct number.

Alan G

Alan,

From the outside do they look like for like, can you detect any differences?

Bruce.

An MGB car owner has come up trumps! Info from an old SI Catalogue!

Si part number BG2401-05. This part is the most common type, on the Triumph range of cars and the only type used on TR6 range.

SI part number BG2401-00. This part is only used on the following TR's TR4A Overdrive 1965 to1967, TR5 Overdrive Oct 1967 - Dec 1968.

It would be interesting to know the difference?

Bruce.

Bruce, No I have never worked for Smiths Industries. My reseach for angle drive sources was when I worked at British Motor Heritage.

Note - I came across an externally visible identical angle drive that was used on Borg Warner auto box vehicles. That had a different sized square drive to go in the gearbox drive. I have no idea what the Smiths number was. Triumph number was 14***** something - I think it fitted Stag, Barb or Innsbruck. So BW Type 35?

Peter W

Bruce, No I have never worked for Smiths Industries. My reseach for angle drive sources was when I worked at British Motor Heritage.

Note - I came across an externally visible identical angle drive that was used on Borg Warner auto box vehicles. That had a different sized square drive to go in the gearbox drive. I have no idea what the Smiths number was. Triumph number was 14***** something - I think it fitted Stag, Barb or Innsbruck. So BW Type 35?

Peter W

The Stag uses the same as the TR6 as per SI Cat.

Bruce.

What does SI book say for Triumph 2000/2500/2.5 mk 1 and mk2 with auto box?

Triumph 2000 Mk 1 & Mk 2 with Auto Box from 1964 on BG2401-04

Triumph 2.5 Mk 1 & Mk 2 with Auto Box from 1968 on BG2401-05 same as TR6

Bruce.