TR4 hand brake back plate lever extension

Hi Folks,

I have hunted high and low through ebay to find a set of these lever extension pieces but to no avail.

They are always advertised there but not now - a mystery

Does anybody know who sells these items?

Roger

Edited by RogerH

Hi Folks,

I have hunted high and low through ebay to find a set of these lever extension pieces but to no avail.

They are always advertised there but not now - a mystery

Does anybody know who sells these items?

Roger

Roger

Why you don't need them ?

Roger try page 34 Jan TR Action was looking at these myself, but I had previously bought the bolt on extensions from HRS.

Edited by Graham

Hi Graham,

I think they need to be the bought option also.

Roger

Roger Tony isn't showing any stock of the bolt on type in his shop at the moment but if you prefer this type give him a ring on 07836202347

Are these really necessary on the 4 Roger? I always thought the longer lever gave more mechanical advantage than that on the 4A and the earlier handbrake design was quite adequate.

Tim

Hi Tim,

I agree with you but my friend has asked for them for his car (TR3)

Roger

Tell him to check his brakes then as you really do not need them on a sidescreen car or a TR4 come to that. There must be something wrong with his setup.

Stuart.

Hello, a word in favour of the handbrake extensions, I fitted them to my 4a, handbrake efficiency went from 16% (I think 15% is MOT failure) to 25%, same drums and shoes and same person (me) heaving on the handbrake lever, cheers, Andrew

Hello, a word in favour of the handbrake extensions, I fitted them to my 4a, handbrake efficiency went from 16% (I think 15% is MOT failure) to 25%, same drums and shoes and same person (me) heaving on the handbrake lever, cheers, Andrew

Different setup altogether, they do need careful setting up to achieve a pass these days as the efficiency requirement has changed for single line braking systems which catches TR4a`s only, TR5/6 have dual circuit which only require the 15%

The OP was for a TR3 which you should be able to skid the rear wheels on the handbrake without much trouble quite often even when they have been neglected.

Stuart.

I don't doubt that the extensions gave you a worthwhile improvement on the TR4A handbrake Andrew, on this model the handbrake design is the same as on the TR5 and 6 and, as Stuart says, completely different to the earlier side screen cars and the TR4, which all had the floor mounted handbrake with much longer lever.

Anyone with a 4A, 5 or 6 with the factory handbrake set up can dramatically improve its efficiency at ZERO COST simply by removing the lever assembly, taking off the compensator link and drilling a new hole for this 7/16" closer to the fulcrum pin. See attached pic.

Tim

post-9073-0-62732800-1485739888_thumb.jpg.

Hello Roger,

I fitted a handbrake lever lever extension on my TR4A and it made a big improvement.

From memory they were for Stags and TR4A's. I think they may have come from the supplier currently selling a Spitfire / Herald version on eBay (see the link below) - not sure if it's the same or not, but either way you could ask the supplier if he has what you want.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Triumph-Spitfire-GT6-Herald-Vitesse-hand-brake-improver-/351964811828?hash=item51f2bcd234:g:tx4AAOSwo4pYEKHS

Cheers

Tony