4-point seat belt

I have 4 point harnesses fitted.

They are a bit more of a faf to get into but once they are adjusted and you get used to it it's not a problem.

Ive found that passengers are better off pushing the seat back before belting up and then sliding the seat forward to get them nice and tight.

The shoulder straps may rub against your neck so a shirt or jacket with a collar is usually a more comfortable option than a tee shirt.

They really should be secured to a proper harness bar just below shoulder level usually integrated into a roll over bar.

Seats with head restraints and slots for lap straps are also a good plan.

They really should be secured to a proper harness bar just below shoulder level usually integrated into a roll over bar.

I was thinking/hoping to place the rear anchors on the floor... as I do not want a roll over bar.

back to the drawing board...

Thanks

Camilo

I suspect it also needs a particular kind of spouse to go along with it if that is an issue for you.

It'll be my young daughter's car, one day, and i am starting to be conscious of the dangers, although over the past 40 years with this car, I kind of felt that I would rather be thrown out, then get mangled in all that pointed steel under the dashboard...

Hi Camillo,

The mounting points for the shoulder straps need to be at not too sharp an angle, ie having the mounting points on the rear floor or rear seat area makes too much of an belt acute angle. If in an accident the forward propelled force is counteracted likewise and an enormous force pulled down onto your shoulders because of the acute seat belt angle, this has cause serious injuries. That's why most shoulder strap mounting points either travel over a crossbar at near enough the same height as the seat back or from the back of the cockpit onto a suitably braced point onto the car shell this reduces any downward pulling or force onto your shoulders.

The low slung seated semi prone position sometimes cause problems with "submarining" with only 4 point belts, this is where the violent halt causes the body to slide under the restraining 2 belts coming across the body from either side. This is counteracted with a 6 point harness with an additional 2 separate belts travelling over the front of the seat in between your legs to the multipoint buckle.

This configuration is excellent and will maintain the drivers and passenger in their seated positions no matter what gymnastics your car performs in an accident. However as I'm sure you'll appreciate ladies are reluctant to hitch up layers of bombazine and wrinkle dresses or sheer skirts with a nest of buckles nestling in their lower pelvis. So a 4 point seat belt is probably favourite and provides a worthwhile increase in safety,...oh review this other thread

http://www.tr-register.co.uk/forums/index.php?/topic/60537-lucky-driver/

Rather than trusting to luck and being thrown clear under a nearby truck a roll cage does give you safety and these days is accepted by almost everyone.

Mick Richards

PS: don't forget the rear alloy firescreen whilst you're at it.

Edited by Motorsport Mickey

Its a good option if you have something to secure the belts to like this example. I suspect it also needs a particular kind of spouse to go along with it if that is an issue for you. It would be for me.

IMG_1107.jpg

Tony I fitted a Revington one with a removable diagonal.Very nicely made, easy to fit works with soft and hardtop and has that all important harness bar at the correct height.

Iain

http://www.revingtontr.com/product/rtr9047-3hbr/name/rob-comp-tr2-3b-removable-diag-harness-bar-rhd