Sater Motor Problem

Morning Sage Ones,

Had an interesting problem with the starter on my early TR2 yesterday. Hopefully you will confirm my suspicions. Sometimes when starting but also when going along, the starter doesn't disengage. The ammeter reads full positive charge. Reading the tea leaves I believe the starter dog is sticking or wondering up the shaft and engaging with the ring gear thus being driven by the engine and behaving like a dynamo. I suppose it could be the switch or solinoid but I think the ammeter reading is the give away. I think the bigger issue is why it would self engage whilst going along? All opinions gratefully received.

Regards, Pete

Hi Pete,

Yes it certainly sounds like a failure in the bendix mechanism of your starter.

I think getting the starter out and seeing what is wrong is your next step.

Keep us posted.

If you choose to restore your orig statrer I do have a few spares for the 'bomb' type Lucas unit. If you get stuck. PM me

Peter W

Edited by BlueTR3A-5EKT

+1, agree it's becoming a dynamo - not good it will be spinning much too fast, & will destroy it's self.

Bob.

P.S. I have a spare Bomb type if stuck.

Edited by Lebro

Hi Pete,

I think your solenoid may be sticking for extended periods.

How could it behave like a dynamo if the solenoid is open circuit Yes, it could jam and be driven but no current would get out of the motor.

I would firstly check the solenoid power wire (white/red) to see if the starter button is playing up.

I would then investigate/replace the solenoid and see what happens.

Roger

Hi Pete

It can sometimes be clutch dust etc which gets onto the bendix and shaft. It then fails to recoil when released, and is simply being spun by the flywheel. In that case it just needs a good clean. The dynamo theory I think has to be a non-starter.

However, Roger's theory on a jammed solenoid is a good possibility.

Regards

Kevin

How could it behave like a dynamo if the solenoid is open circuit

Roger

I was waiting to see who would spot that first :ph34r:

However, if solenoid is stuck on, then yes it will be a dynamo, so I think Roger is spot on here (as usual )

Bob.

Thanks all.

Rodger has given me hope. I hate removing the starter it's a real pain with the extractor manifold I've got fitted. I've got a spare starter solenoid so I'll try that but typically! It doesn't do it every time!! I'll do the easy things first. I'll check the starter switch too as it's the original. Keep you posted.

Regards, Pete

Me, I thinks sticking solenoid most unlikely, if you can bear it, take out the starter and examine the Bendix drive, for the dust and dirt mentioned. Clean in fuel or brake cleaner.

But then lubricate with graphite powder,NOT oil or grease that will attract more dirt.

John

Hi all,

Swopped the solenoid but the old one seemed OK. Not that you can see much but the button action was ok. Next I removed the starter switch from the dash and wired it up to a test bulb. Oddly I only had to breath on the button for it to operate. I did the same test on a new one and the button moves a lot further before closing the switch. So £45 the lighter I've put a new one on. Tested the lot with the dizzy cap off and all seems 100% again. Time will tell. Strange one though. Thanks for all the advice.

Regards, Pete