contaminated brake shoes

hi, i have a problem with brake shoe linings on my spitfire. (I know it is a TR6 forum, but feel the help i've had from here previously with My TR6 is second to none)

i bought a new cylinder and shoes but when the drum is on the wheel wont turn. I have backed the adjuster all the way off.

I think it is the shoes so i plan on refitting the old ones.

The question is what is the best way to remove the brake fluid contamination from the shoes.

Thanks in advance, Stephen Brady.

In days gone by we used to wash them off with petrol let them dry out and go on again.

Stuart.

I did know a chap who used to boil his shoes in persil when they became contaminated on his land rover, but that may have been oil contamination when the shaft seals failed ………

ATB Graham

I did the blow torch trick and light sanding.

could i have asbestos brake shoes? car been off the road since 1997 so shoes must be at least 20 yrs old as are quite worn.

i held at arms length and didn't breathe when i sanded them lightly.

not being neurotic but don't want to risk my health for the sake of a pair of brake shoes

could i have asbestos brake shoes?

You don't want to breath that dust.

And, you will probably die, but not from holding them at arms length.

New shoes are really cheap, get the riveted ones, rather than bonded, which may come unglued in time.

Edited by Sapphire72

Don't soak bonded ones (if unknown manufacturer, anyway) in brake cleaner overnight.

It is not funny when one of the linings comes unglued @40mph and locks a brake solid!!

Scared the sh*t out of me, anyway!! :ph34r::o