At some time in the past the under bonnet fuel tap on UOV was removed, I have managed to get a replacement but I have now read a couple of forum posts about a lot of cars having them removed. So is it worth putting the tap back ? I was thinking that it would make cleaning the pump bowl easier and provide a good fixing for the fuel pipe which is currently floating about in space running directly into the accumulator bowl on the pump…

Any thoughts ?

ATB Graham

When you remove the fuel line at the engine's side of the car, the tank will drain... The tap prevents emptying the tank on your driveway. So yes, get a tap. Weber has a few. Google 'fuel tap' and don't forget to order the two unions as well.

Menno

Definitely worth having a tap.

23 years ago, I installed a (modern) tap in my TR4 because I knew how useful had been the tap in my TR2.

And modern taps do not tend to leak like the original, which had a cork washer.

Ian Cornish

I'm in a similar situation to Graham. The fuel tap is still 'in situ' but bypassed. I thought it worth removing, cleaning up and replacing but had also read about leaking problems. I'm encouraged by Bob's experience with a rubber washer.

Rod

P.S. I also thought it might give a crumb of comfort if it were driven off by a thief and stopped for no apparent reason after a short distance!

I'm in a similar situation to Graham. The fuel tap is still 'in situ' but bypassed. I thought it worth removing, cleaning up and replacing but had also read about leaking problems. I'm encouraged by Bob's experience with a rubber washer.

Rod

P.S. I also thought it might give a crumb of comfort if it were driven off by a thief and stopped for no apparent reason after a short distance!

To expand on my solution, I replaced the cork seal (it's a cylinder with a hole in it) with a short section of fuel piping chosen to be the right diameter.

Bob.

A previous discussion on the subject of fuel lines, tank cleaning, and especially valves/clamps here might be of interest.

Be aware that modern fuels, with an increasing methanol content, are known to do nasty things to older rubber fuel piping (and to metals, such as the solder holding together the two halves of the floats in SU carburettors).

Ian Cornish

Be aware that modern fuels, with an increasing methanol content, are known to do nasty things to older rubber fuel piping (and to metals, such as the solder holding together the two halves of the floats in SU carburettors).

Ian Cornish

Its worth getting a new pair of uprated floats from Burlen they are ethenol proof and apparently unsinkable.

cheers

Alan

Edited by Kiwifrog

Hello,

As mentioned, a fuel tap is a very effective anti-theft device, especially on older cars which are quite easy to steal. Having once had a car stolen never to be seen again (A convertible London Taxi, in Athens!) I know how upsetting it is.

If authenticity is not too important, why not go for an electric “Tap” like this.

http://www.autoelectricsupplies.co.uk/product/731/category/121

All you need do is wire it through the ignition feed and include a “Secret” switch in the circuit. Far easier than having to lift the bonnet every time you leave the car.

Charlie D.