Nigel,

Are you sure that you have been supplied the correct bearing? The Borg and Beck kit supplied for my GT6 included a thrust bearing which was not the right one for the job. Fortunately I spotted it before it was installed in the car. Perhaps Roger could give you the appropriate RHP number.

Roger,

I assume that your gearbox is one for a TR4A which is centralized using 2 fitted bolts which are essential for correct alignment. Are these fitted on your installation? On the TR6 dowels are used to centre the g/b to the engine so if your car has a TR6 box the engine backplate should be modified to include the 2 dowels. A misaligned g/b can cause unpleasant problems, possibly a sticking clutch.

As for the bearing carrier the roll pin should be fitted to ensure the outer race of the thrust bearing rotates relative to the inner even though there may be some local fretting from the fork. To compensate for the wear and possible roll pin breakage I had two extra pins installed. The machinist said the material of the bearing carrier was particularly hard as he had trouble drilling the holes. This was on an original ST carrier but it may be different for the modern day replacements.

Don't give up on sorting out your g/bs. As encouragement It took me 6 removal and installations of my GT6 box before I found out the real reason why it jumped out of gear. I was a lot younger then and had a lot more energy.

Tim

Hi Tim,

thanks for the words.

The gearbox is a TR4A and lines up OK with the dowels.

I will install the pin in the carrier.

I'm concerned about the Coaxial misalignment (nothing to do with the dowels) of the input shaft.

I've tried everything to try to align the extension and the shaft but the extension wants to be where it fits.

The original extension was also out by about the same amount.

Roger

Hi Tim

The clutch kit is borg and beck and came with a release bearing.however the first time I had to remove box because of screeching noise.once the bearing had seized up solid and was not rotating.when I fitted the new bronze carrier I replaced the release bearing with one from moss part number GRB211.I also left pin out of the bronze carrier.

Cheers

Nige

Hi Neil,

there was a small grease pack. I used that for the fork pins on the carrier.

Should I have put some on the splines.?

Roger

Roger

Yep also a small amount of copperslip on the face of the bearing and nose and also cone, heat will cause problems without.

Hi Neil,

the cross shaft !. I fitted a grease nipple to the nearside bush today.

All the bushes were greased last week but the problem started anyway.

Roger

Roger

Grease will melt ;)

Hi , drilled a 32mm hole in bell housing , when I was having clutch judder issues to observe operation & lubricate if needed.I was fed up with removing box & finding nothing visibly wrong. Chris attachicon.gifimage.jpeg

Thats some return spring!

Stuart.

Hi Roger

Thanks for the photo.it looks like my bearing is wrong way round.the only thing is the bearing won't go over the carrier the other way round it just sits on top.I must have wrong bearing surely?

Nige

Yep definitely fitted 4a carrier with bearing to go with it.it should just slide onto the carrier but mine wudnt.the only way it would slide onto carrier is with bearing facing wrong way.

Cheers

Nige

Hi Chris,

did your inspection hole work. Did you find what was causing the judder.

Roger

Engine had to come out for a rebuild, while g/ box was out drilled inspection hole . Judder was their at time of removal . Another lightened fly wheel & existing cover lightened & assembly balanced. I've replaced land cruiser bearing , (which was starting to wear Lockheed cover fingers on the curve of the fingers further out than standard bearing ), & bronze carrier with a steel carrier( pin removed & standard bearing fitted. ( not new previously fitted in car ) . Since refitted 5,000 miles no judder but when very hot reluctance to go in first . So removed Revington pull back kit ( with supplied spring). Now all good ,back to standard set up on clutch bits but no wiser on which part solved issue .At least I can now see what's going on in the bell housing If I have further issues.

Chris

Ok

Edited by potts4a