All

I have a set of 5 "original" steel wheels for my six.

Given what I know and what I have learned about the car, I'm not sure the "original", is as genuine as one could hope.

They are stamped; 5 1/2J 15"

As you can see from the photo's the wheels are not in good condition, but, neither are they beyond the pale.

(The one shown is one of the better condition wheels)

Questions;

Could these be bead or sand blasted, prior to powder coating?

(I am not sure of the efficacy of blasting welded wheels)

If not, any suggestions for bringing them back to 'on the car' condition?

Given that this is strictly a road car, driven carefully, what sized tyres should I use?

post-12772-0-85808800-1466532864_thumb.jpg

post-12772-0-37353200-1466532880_thumb.jpg

I have just got a set of steel wheels blasted and powder coated. ..amazing condition now. Like new. Mine were worse looking than your one.

Len

The wheel in your pictures looks good enough to have blast cleaned and powder coated.

Two tips

1. I would check with a tyre fitter that the wheel is not buckled first before spending on refinishing them

2. Clean the blast media out of the joint between the rim and the centre hub prior to powder coating. The iron blast media used on wheels will rust.

Cheers,

Kevin

Hello. I have this year taken 4 of my wheels to BJ Banning at Salford Bridge (Spaghetti Junction) in Birmingham. They did a lovely job of blasting and enamelling them. Max tyre size recommended is 185. Only Vredestein and Pirelli make these. A lot of folk use 195 65. A lot of folks will give you input on this. Good luck. Austin

Those wheels look pretty decent as long as they are straight. Might be worth considering painting rather than powder coating, if when they get chipped you stand a chance of touching them up and still looking good, powder coating and it's matching is always a struggle.

Mick Richards

The wheel in your pictures looks good enough to have blast cleaned and powder coated.

Two tips

1. I would check with a tyre fitter that the wheel is not buckled first before spending on refinishing them

2. Clean the blast media out of the joint between the rim and the centre hub prior to powder coating. The iron blast media used on wheels will rust.

Cheers,

Kevin

Must admit, hadn't thought to check for buckling, will do, thanks

It's the residue od blasting that caused me to pause and as the question.

I have had advice that blasting these wheels is not a good idea, hence the question

Hello. I have this year taken 4 of my wheels to BJ Banning at Salford Bridge (Spaghetti Junction) in Birmingham. They did a lovely job of blasting and enamelling them. Max tyre size recommended is 185. Only Vredestein and Pirelli make these. A lot of folk use 195 65. A lot of folks will give you input on this. Good luck. Austin

Hadn't considered enamelling, is it costly?

Hope to get some more sound tyre advice, I am lookin for ease of handling, combined with grip, possibly an oxymoron, but, worth a go

Those wheels look pretty decent as long as they are straight. Might be worth considering painting rather than powder coating, if when they get chipped you stand a chance of touching them up and still looking good, powder coating and it's matching is always a struggle.

Mick Richards

I thought about painting them, but, decided that it may not be tough enough.

Am I labouring under a misapprehension?

I recall there was a long-standing member who had owned a red TR6 from new. I think that sadly he passed away. I remember seeing his car many times at shows, sometimes with the hard top. He had filled the gap between the centre section and rim with some type of filler / sealant. I don't know if this was done before or after painting, or what he used for the job. However, it seemed a good way of preventing the inevitable corrosion that happens at that joint over time on nearly all TR6 steel wheels.

Paul

I recall there was a long-standing member who had owned a red TR6 from new. I think that sadly he passed away. I remember seeing his car many times at shows, sometimes with the hard top. He had filled the gap between the centre section and rim with some type of filler / sealant. I don't know if this was done before or after painting, or what he used for the job. However, it seemed a good way of preventing the inevitable corrosion that happens at that joint over time on nearly all TR6 steel wheels.

Paul

Paul,

A flexible filler at the joint sounds reasonable, it would certainly help I guess

It's the little things that often cause hours of worry!

£66 a corner for blasting and enamelling. I bought my 185 vredsteins from them too. They are good folks, I've used them for 40 years. Austin

Austin

Spaghetti Junction is about 100 miles from me

I would need to find a serious reason to take the wheels up there for SWMBO!

I like the idea and price though, so will look for someone more local

Thanks for the tip

Edited by wjgco

If it's of any help mine were done locally to me in Kent for £40 /each.

sorry did say £50 each , forgetting i had 5 wheels £200 in total ....Doh...

Edited by len1

Paul

Mine were blasted and powder coated.

Yes very happy with them.

CSP Curts shot blasting. Borough Green.

Ask for Curtis.

Decent friendly chap.

Len

len1,

What finish did you have - paint, powder, enamel etc, were you happy with the results and who did it?

Tks

Paul

Paul

These wheels have never been on the car during my ownership

She has Minilites on at the moment

These steels were supplied when I bought the car and had tyres date marked 1995, which I gave binned.

I just prefer the look of the original wheels in the 6 and want to get them looking original, if possible

Edited by wjgco

yes , my TR6 came with wires and i thought they looked great ....but the more i look at other TR6 the more i prefer steels. I may come back to wires one day as my car was delivered new with wires (not to me ! )

len

Not TR6 but GT6.

Blasted,Powder Coated and Centre sealed with a Flexable Roof Sealer.

Nice

That's what I would like to achieve