voltage stabilizer

Morning

Having few problems getting my temp gauge to work at weekend.could someone clarify which wires go where on voltage stabilizer. It has the letter I on left hand side with two terminals and right side has letter b at top and +GND at bottom with two terminals.It looks like B and +GND share same connection but WS manual shows it separate.not sure what goes where.not even got feed up to the gauge.

Cheers

Nige

Hi Nigel

The terminal marked GND should be the black wire. Terminal marked 'I' is a light green/green.

The 'B' Terminal looks like it should have either 2, or 3 green only wires attached, with the feed coming from the fuse box.

Regards

Kevin

Edited by boxofbits

Hi Kevin,

Thanks for the reply on this.I have 4 wires coming from the new loom for the stabilizer.Three are green and one green/black.

There is no black wire coming off the loom for the +GND.Do i need to make this wire up and connect to where the screw

connects the stabilizer?Also the terminal +GND and B share the same connection on the stabilizer would have thought

these needed to be seperate?

Thanks

Nige

Hi

It looks like the three greens go to terminal B on the stabilizer. Then there is light green/ green which goes from terminal 'I' of stabilizer down to the fuel gauge and also to the temperature gauge. It looks like green/black you refer to goes from the sender unit to the fuel gauge. Usually black is earth.

Are you sure you have not got some connectors already fitted which might be in the wrong place?

Kevin

Hi Kev,

The four wires that come out of the loom are in the exact position of the stabilizer.The workshop

manual does have it as 3 green and one green/black which goes to the gauge.Ive not connected

any black wire up as there was no wire to connect coming from the loom.

Regards

Nige

Hi Nigel

Have just removed speedo from my TR4a, and checked voltage stabiliser wiring for you whilst there( situated atop o/s footwell).

The three green wires ( one double and one single) go to the B terminal. The single green/black wire goes to the 'I' terminal. The E terminal (earth) is not connected on my car and no spade terminal is provided on the stabiliser unit. The diagram I looked up this morning showed a black on this terminal, so disregard this.

Good luck with it.

Regards

Kevin

I thought the voltage regulator was earthed through the speedo body

Cheers

Nigel

Fitted to a different place on a TR4/4a.

Stuart

Further to Kevin above I agree that doubled up connector and one single green wires go to B pole. The other wire goes to the I post for the gauges. The one single green wire on the B post on mine is the heater motor supply. This leaves the double green wires. One of these goes to the fuse box (ignition side fuse). This leaves the other wire in this pair. This feeds the Indicator flasher circuit and the wiper motor circuit.

The question I have is that on the wiring diagrams there is a double connector somewhere between the voltage stabiliser and these other 2 circuits but where is it??? I have searched form one end of the loom to the other behind the dashboard but can't find it anywhere. The green wiper motor feed wire has to join the 'turn signal flasher' feed somewhere with a double connector that also provides a connection for optional reverse light circuit. Then there is the green wire to the voltage stabiliser. Any help on finding this connection welcome.

Keith

p.s. to last post - Nigel, temp gauge and fuel gauge on same supply from voltage regulator so if problem was with regulator then both would not work. If only temp gauge with problem then check temp gauge earth via sender. Remove spade connector on temp sensor on thermostat housing and earth the wire directly. Temp gauge should operate. If it does then temp sender in thermostat housing is faulty. If temp gauge doesn't work then problem with gauge or wire between gauge and sensor. Try earthing gauge green/blue terminal to eliminate the wire connecting gauge with sender. Check you have supply to gauge with volt meter.

Hope this helps

Keith

Good luck Nigel

I have found the double bullet connector well hidden between top of heater and steering column. My car is a USA import 4A with loom running down drivers side. The connection between the voltage regulator and wiper motor/flasher unit consists of 3 green wires which emerge together from the loom between heater and steering column joined by a double bullet connector. This is where optional reverse light supply connects as well.

Keith

The letters on the stabiliser:

B = Battery (via ignition switch and fuse) - Green wires

I = Instruments (Fuel and Temperature) - Green/Black wire

GND = ground - Black wire

I hope you are all sorted

TT

Morning,

Well had a look at the gauge at the weekend.I decided to test it was working ok on my

dads Tr4.We just placed the connector which goes to the temp sensor to earth and

the gauge reading shot right over so this is working ok.i fitted the voltage stabiliser

back on with the three green wires going to B and the green and black going to i

terminal.There is no black wire coming off the new loom to connect anywhere on

the stabiliser so i presume this is earthed through fixing the stabiliser onto the

panel under drivers footwell.I have connected battery up and tested for 10v feed

from stabiliser but showing nothing at all.Dont really know what im doing wrong

here to be honest.Electrics are not really my strong point.Even on my ignition switch

cant seem to get the engine to turn over by key.Have to keep using the solenoid.

When i put the red/white wire on the seperate connector on solenoid i then have no

feed to the coil.

Nige

If regulator isn't working then both temp and fuel gauge won't work since both are fed along same wire from I terminal on regulator. If temp gauge works when wire at temp sender is earthed on your car then fault is with temp sender screwed into thermostat housing. (Remember engine needs to be hot for a signal). If gauge works on your dads TR4 then use sender from that on your car.

Note also that ignition needs to be on when testing for 10v feed from voltage regulator. Green wire feed to regulator comes from bottom fuse in fuse box. If wipers and heater motor work then feed wire to regulator is ok.

Regulator is earthed through screwing it to car body.

You haven't said if fuel gauge is working or not. If it is working then regulator is ok.

Not sure what to suggest re other electrical issue. Start by using wiring diagram to see if everything on ignition switch circuit is connected correctly. Not sure of this but looks as if solenoid is earthed and red/white wire activates solenoid via ignition.

Electrics eh - should be simple but wierd things happen with faulty earthing and loose or dirty connections. I am gradually replacing crimped bullet and spade connectors with soldered ones.

Good luck

Keith

Hi Keith

Thanks for the reply on this.I havnt got the fuel gauge connected up as yet.

Im just concerned that there is no 10v coming from stabiliser when the ignition

is on.Makes me think that have brought faulty part.Also on the temp and fuel

gauges do they have the black earth wires connected to them?These are hanging

from the new loom with ring connectors by the looks of it.

Nige

Nige,

If you have +12v on the green wire and no output then it points to a dud regulator. If it's an original type it doesn't produce a constant 10v because it's a thermal device which switches 12v on and off, averaging about 10v. Get a new electronic replacement would be my advice. The black ring connectors earth the instruments, they go under the knurled nuts holding the retaining straps in place.

If you have no volts on the green and the ignition is on then you have a dud fuse, faulty ignition switch or duff wiring. Assuming you have power to the ignition switch that is.