LEAKING MASTER CYLINDER

Can the learned of you please help me with my little problem ( car wise that is ). I have a 1958 3A , TS 41074 which has a persistent slight leak from the top of the dual brake/clutch reservoir. I have renewed the cap and rubber washer as the old cap was somewhat battered and I thought this was the problem, but alas not, as it still somehow leaks from what seems to be the thread of the cap as there is always a residue of fluid after a trip. The car does have a Brake servo fitted but I don't think this would be the root cause. Any suggestions from one and all.

Yours in frustration!

Gordon

I believe this is quite common, mine does the same. I have tried an alternative cap (plastic) but that did the same. I think the answer is not to fill the reservoir too full, & keep wiping off any spillage.

Bob.

I believe this is quite common, mine does the same. I have tried an alternative cap (plastic) but that did the same. I think the answer is not to fill the reservoir too full, & keep wiping off any spillage.

Bob.

I've seen similar situations. Mine doesn't weep, but I even know about a guy who has put a ring of absorbent material around the cap!

It is unfortunately a perennial problem with those tanks, the new repro ones do have a rubber seal under the cap which does seem to be a bit better but the usual thing is dont fill them any higher than the clutch reservoir section.

Stuart.

Graham, I have also had this problem up to 9 months ago when I ditched the alloy cap for a plastic one from Compbrake Motorsport.

It was the large one part code CMB0135-L @ £5.99 with free postage. Has worked fine since then. As a precaution I also use a wrist sweat band around the reservoir top that will soak up any fluid. Before the new cap I used PTFE tape around the thread before putting the cap on. Helped but a bit messy!

Cheers.