Correct color for metal dash

Hi all,

Just a quick question for the experts on here,

My tr4 has a wood dash and I was wondering what the correct color should be for the metal dash what supports the wooden dash.

My car is light blue but the dash is brown and some of it black the brown appears to be the original color is this correct

Regards Gary

Hi roger, thank you for quick response,

This is not the dash on view as mine is wood

I'm referring to the base dash what the wood screws to

Every one on a rebuild seem to spray them the color of the car but mine looks original and is dark brown

I know it won't be seen but was keen to paint it the color it left the factory

Thanks Gary

I think it would have left the factory white.

Before restoration, my 4 had a wood dash fitted over it. It was white underneath, I must admit, but I've never seen a brown one.

Gary

My late TR4 ( Ex American ), LHD wooden dash , had a black finish to the metal dash behind the wood.

I appreciate the early ones were metal but the later runs , had a lot of their export cars ( a high

percentage of the total output )sent out with a wooden dash.

Bob

Edited by bob-menhennett

Hi Gary,

it would be white. The shade depends on the date of manufacture.

Very early ones were 'Spa white' later ones were 'New White' code 19..

Roger

Roger,

That would be logical, to change the colour of the dash

(and wheels) to New White at the same time as the New

White shade was introduced for the body.

But - are you assuming, or have you seen something

definite?

There were certainly far more wood dashes fitted to

export cars. I thought that early TR4s had some sort

of wood finish to the standard metal dash, whereas

later 4s/4As could have had a specific metal base and

a different wood dash.

I have no personal experience of wood dashes on TR4s.

I haven't checked BillP's book - must do that.

AlanR

Edited by TR 2100

I have just had another look at the dash, it is definitely brown a bit like the finish on replacement wings with no sign of any white.

I also like the white metal dash finish but will make do with what I have.

I don't know if to spray it black or just paint it powder blue the same as the car, I don't suppose it's seen when it's finished

Here's two pics of the dash from both sides to show any one interested

post-13670-0-05578900-1459788404_thumb.jpeg

post-13670-0-52490600-1459788453_thumb.jpeg

My own 4A's metal dash was also a reddish brown and I suspect the original colour. Body colour Wedgwood blue. There's only a tiny bit that can be seen when the ( original) wooden dash is fitted over it so it probably does not matter that much what colour it is other than to purists.

Paul

HI, just a thought, it may have been to make sure that if for any reason the steel backing was visible in any specific area, it did not show as much or at all if it were brown, black or some darker colour than white.

Mark

Mine was also brown originally ('67 4A) and I painted it new white, as per the body colour.

As others have said a darker colour may have been better as once it's all assembled you can see the white coming through the gaps between the wood and the crash pads. If I was doing it again I would go for black so it was lost against the crash pads. But then again, when you're trying to sort out all the wiring with your head in the footwell, white does mean you can see what your doing!

jeff

Hi all

I refurbed all the dash components this weekend, and decided on black,

So today the dash, corner air duct boxes and little bits and bobs where all treated to a top coat of shiny black.

I must say as turned out looking very smart.

The air scoops had some kind of black material stuck on the edges near the door pillars originally so need to investigate that a bit further, at the moment there now black paint but when I work it out can always stick black fabric on later.

As a few have already stated you see very little of it once the wood dash is screwed on

Gary.