Window winder black trim thingy

Backstory first. My tr6 had odd window winders, one normal chrome like every other tr6 I've seen and one plastic with a hoax drive more asking to MGB the tr6.

So, bought a nice chrome tr6 one and decided to adapt the hex drive to square. , bit of measuring, machining welding and fettling later and I have functioning winder mechanism to fit my nice chrome to winder handle onto.

BUT

There's a black plastic trim thing sitting behind it that I have not got. What are they? Are they available? Anyone have a spare one? Or should I 3D print one?

Thanks

The after market window winders are drilled wrongly so it's a nightmare to fit the handle.

Shorten the spring and or forget using the proper pin to hold it on. A bit of welding rod almost cut off to the length of the pin which can be snapped off when in place may make fitting easier.

The after market window winders are drilled wrongly so it's a nightmare to fit the handle.

Shorten the spring and or forget using the proper pin to hold it on. A bit of welding rod almost cut off to the length of the pin which can be snapped off when in place may make fitting easier.

They arent actually drilled wrongly, if you look carefully you will find the actual stub shaft is shorter, not by much but just enough so you need to either cut down the spring or use softer ones.

Stuart.

Edited by stuart

Ain't no skill involved in those springs. Just heat the end with a blowlamp. Does not take much heat to come red.

They were done on that brick just as in the photo. Just a couple of minutes.

Run the red-heat back about 1 turn. Let to cool. This is now soft and closes in. Now you dont't have the sharp end digging into the door card.

Took about 1/2in off with an angle grinder.