Locks, barrels and keys

Probably not the most detailed and professional answer you will get but basically if you have removed the barrel from its housing, insert the key you want to use and then look at the brass "keeps" that protrude from the outer barrel face.

The task is to then file those down flush with the outer barrel surface. (when you insert the key make sure all keeps in the lock are level to the outer face)

A tip is to make sure that whatever key you try to use operates on all the keeps to bring them up to at least the barrels outer face before you start to file and if one seems rather high then chose another key as you do not want to file a keep away to nothing or it will jam.

I am sure someone else will give you better guidance.

Steve

A trick to use before doing any filing is to try swapping the "keeps" around to better suit the key. I hang on to any locks of that type I come across so that I build up a good stock of different length "keeps". Quite often no filing is needed - just select the right ones to suit the key.

Bob.

A trick to use before doing any filing is to try swapping the "keeps" around to better suit the key. I hang on to any locks of that type I come across so that I build up a good stock of different length "keeps". Quite often no filing is needed - just select the right ones to suit the key.

Bob.

+1 for that - top tip!

Richard

Richard - For those of us who keep each and every copy of TR Action, which issue number features Dave's article (which I do recollect!)?

If it's in the range 1-200, it will be on the CD.

Ian Cornish

Thanks to Richard's suggestion as to year, I looked through the magazines and found that Dave Worne's article appeared in TR Action 216, January 2007.

Ian Cornish