Dear All

During my Tr4A restoration project, I have come up against a dilemma. A-type over drives seem extremely expensive and so I'm contemplating fitting a J-Type over drive instead. I'm guessing I just need to change the main shaft of my Tr4A non-overdrive gear box to accomodate the J-Type. Other then that are there any other expensive mods I shopuld be worried about?

Also would it be easier to just find an late Tr6 or Dolomite sprint gear box with the overdrive that I can just slot into my car or would this require more substanial changes to my Tr4A, i.e. clutch plates etc.?

Thanks

Adam

Adam,

You will also need the adaptor plate, a replacement gearbox top cover with isolators (or your top cover drilled to accept them) and also an OD wiring loom, OD column switch, OD escutcheon cover and a longer speedo cable.

TR6 A Types are out there if you are patient. I recently bought one on eBay off a 69 TR6 (correct serial numbers and 22% ratio) for £99. Pete Cox has inspected it and very little was needed other than a good clean out and new seals. It tested at 400 psi.

It's eventually worth it if you can keep on looking.

Hope that helps.

Cheers
Andrew

Edited by Andrew Smith

TR6 A Types are out there if you are patient. I recently bought one on eBay off a 69 TR6 (correct serial numbers and 22% ratio) for £99.

Wonderfull price, congratulations, unbelievable here in Germany.

We can be happy to grab a naked J-OD from a Volvo for that price!

I knew there was something else! :D

Cheers

Andrew

And a right angled speedo drive and a rear gearbox mounting kit :o

Alan.

Edited by AlanG

Hi Adam,
Nothing that cannot be overcome fitting j type into your car.

Probably every answer in these hallowed pages, but don,t phaff about building boxes and doing conversions etc,
Find a. Tr 6 box and J type, probably couple hundred quid, and you are on your way.

Folk on this forum will gladly guide you through steps such as rearmount, wiring etc, (my advice would be go with the gearbox lever switch, feels so natural,

Just keep on asking, where abouts are you?

John

Edited by john