Paint for rear panel

Satin black........ Semi gloss.......... Basically solid black with a matting agent in

Tom

My TR6 assembled in Belgium came with a very dark grey tone, almost black. Rear panel and windscreen surround.

Must say I only noticed it after 15 years when I applied some semi gloss black touch-up paint on it. Was quite different from the original.

But U.K. cars might have used a different shade... ;)

As I said, my TR6 was painted in Belgium, so they probably used a different shade of Black.

When I purchased the 6 it was 2 1/2 years old and 100% original....for a car assembled in Belgium.

In certain areas the cars were different from U.K. cars as I noticed , not to speak about LHD.... :)

As I said, my TR6 was painted in Belgium, so they probably used a different shade of Black.

When I purchased the 6 it was 2 1/2 years old and 100% original....for a car assembled in Belgium.

In certain areas the cars were different from U.K. cars as I noticed , not to speak about LHD.... :)

Jean,

My post was to JCC's original question - you should worry, CKD cars were even more diverse in spec! :D

Cheers

Andrew

From what I have seen of most paint, 'matt black' (i.e. like a blackboard) does not exist anymore, unless as a 'special'.

but if you ask for it in 'normal' paint, I think you will get just the slight sheen you expect.

True 'matt' black would be a pain to clean anyway, and show finger marks, kamm effect exhaust trail etc!

I know of a BMW M3 with a ££££ 'Matt' finish.

Never once seen it look clean!

Reason I asked was because I looked in Bill P's book but couldn't find anything on the paint for the back. The Moss catalogue says (I think) satin black. I think I'll take the advice of the painter in the absence of definitive info. Thanks anyway. JJC

Reason I asked was because I looked in Bill P's book but couldn't find anything on the paint for the back. The Moss catalogue says (I think) satin black. I think I'll take the advice of the painter in the absence of definitive info. Thanks anyway. JJC

If you want 'definitive', then it's definitive you can have JCC.................my 1970 Saffron TR6 is original and unrestored still in its factory paint, it has covered 44,800 miles from new and is one of the most original unrestored TR6s in the country - the back panel is matt black, trust me.

10277031_10202162854288035_4404749159971

Cheers

Andrew

In my opinion a good set of information (Thanks' to Ken) http://www.bowtie6.com/repairs/paint.htm

Regards

That, is very interesting, thanks Marc.

Like JJC, I have to have the black back panel on my 6 painted and have been following this item with interest.

I think your chart is enough for the painters to get the colour right

Marc

Thanks -that's closer to what I was after and the article is quite comprehensive. They call it "semi flat". At one time there must have been a spec for the paint but it looks as though it's lost. We all know it looks matt we can see that by looking at the back of our cars!JJC

................We all know it looks matt we can see that by looking at the back of our cars!JJC

I give up, you just can't offer advice to some people. You sought advice, you were offered it by a number of knowledgeable members and you chose to disregard it at #6, and what's more you decided to respond with sarcasm for whatever reason. Most disrespectful.

Do you really think the factory gave a toss what make of paint and colour code it used for the rear panel? - no, more likely it used whatever it could get it's hands on at the time, providing it was matt black.

Oh, and if you really want the original look then make sure your painter gets the masking right, particularly the wing edges - who knows, maybe someone will post a photo of how it should be......................