Supplemental Fuel Pump for PI

Good morning.

Any articles I should check out re adding an additional pump to lift overall fuel pressure on a PI motor with an aging Lucas pump? I recall seeing articles on this topic some years ago before Bosch became popular.

Thanks

Jim

Jim,

Why bother, send off your Lucas pump for reconditioning to Neil Ferguson (K-Raven_Smith) - Neil has recently reconditioned my Lucas pump and injectors and does a great job at a reasonable cost - http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/k_raven_smith/m.html?item=141807502983&hash=item210462c687%3Am%3Am1h6syPI6KVGbvIpRsqEhwg&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2562

Cheers

Andrew

Hi, +2 for Neil. Did my pump back in Feb 14. All good with his work.

A tip - do check for poor electrical connections. I did have some teething issues on long runs. Only when I bought a digital volt meter and checked at the pump connections I had poor elec supply when hot (traced to dodgy fuse holder and poor ign switch too).

I now have direct fused wire with relay, less than 0.4volt drop from battery to pump and it is happier....

Cheers,

J.

Jim,

You mention 'lifting' the fuel pressure. I think this means using a second pump to lift fuel to a second, often swirl, tank to exclude the air bubbles that can get into the outflow, when the fuel tank is low, the car is driven hard around corners and fuel sloshes around exposing the outlet to air in the main tank. Fuel injection cannot tolerate air in the supply, unlike carburettors that filter it out in the float chamber.

So if your pump is generally aged (aren't we all) and not producing full pressure, then the above advice is best.

If you find that taking corners while franticly searching for a petrol station causes stuttering and cut out, then consider a lifter pump and a swirl-pot!

JOhn

Hi Jim. Neill Ferguson also recondtioned my Lucas Pump etc, i did put a relay to the pump and heavier duty electrics to stop voltage drop....it worked all summer no problems.

Cheers,

Conrad.

I fitted a facet pump in front of The Lucas Pump, at least 7 years ago.

Results have been great with a 17% reduction in power consumed by the Lucas Pump, which says it's working less which will also result in less heat.

I also fitted a paper filter bowl which gives a little bit more reserve for hard cornering when the tank is low, I have an early tank without a baffle.

Dave

Gents, thanks for the feedback.

Most of the PI gear came from Malcolm a few years ago - pump, metering unit, prv. I'm based in Dallas Tx so I'd prefer to keep the current pump and avoid shipping back to UK to be refurbished if I can help it.

Pressure in 95-97 psi, no change with engine RPM.

I adjusted PRV to increase pressure but no impact.

Pump pulls 5.3 amp prior to me cranking the engine over.

13.4 volts at the pump with engine running.

I run in both a dedicated pump live and earth circuit.

Any other suggestions (other than Bosch)? I'll probably give facet pump a try (Dave thanks for the input).

Pump is fitted with a cooling coil, its in the boot, (its a TR5), and I've never experienced a cavitation problem even in the warmer days in Texas.

Couple of additional points - the car starts and runs fairly well except for running very lean, (not too surprising if fuel pressure is low). So lean running is the problem I'm trying to solve and I want to find a way to lift fuel pressure to determine if that solves the lean running problem.

Thanks for the advice

Jim