Spinning TR on 1957 Mille Miglia (Firenze)

Comments on the original FB post note, painfully, that this is the TR2 being driven by Dutchman Joseph Göttgens, who died in a crash in the Viale Aleardi, Florence during that year's race. These privately taken photos posted by Paul Genovese of Firenze have not been published prior to his FB post.

Can you see the photos, Roger? That's really all there is. If you can't see them I'll repost from my SmugMug account.

A sad story about Gottgens, but poignant that the snaps show him giving it all.

Such a great picture of just a tiny moment in his life, but i suspect it sums him up

Getting private photos into tagged public archives is going to be big in the years to come.

..............Very wet with some very scared people running for cover.

I blame the signs on the side of the building which point to them.......

11205045_494780360685882_298330068001458

Edit: It looks like his spare wheel cover has departed company.

Cheers

Andrew

Edited by Andrew Smith

In Frédéric Reydellet's Tome 5 of his magnificent "Les Triumph en Compétition", there are shots of Gottgens at the start on pages 220 and 224, and on page 228, Frédéric states that (my approximate translation) on the outskirts of Florence, there was a precipitate exit from the route, the car was hurled violently straight into a tree and Gottgens paid a heavy price, the loss of his life.

In 1956, he had competed with Paul Rousselle in his same TR, finishing 82nd, but Rousselle was not available for the '57 event, so Gottgens decided to go it alone.

Motorsport is dangerous, and was even more dangerous 60 years ago.

Ian Cornish

Thanks, Ian -- Frederic commented on the original Facebook posting, offering most of the information you noted. He also stated he'd not seen these privately-taken images before.