Hello, anyone know the best way to attach carpet fasteners (pic attached) so they stay on and look neat, just been battling with the fastener, carpet and mole grips and it looks a right bodge, as always, many thanks, Andrew

post-2069-0-92792100-1443375208_thumb.jpg

Andrew,

I suggest that before you hammer the spikes down that you fold them over about 90 degrees and then use a toothpick to tease the carpet fibres round the ring and push it down and then finally hammer flat. if you don't do this the fibres get trapped and look like sh1t. It is all about taking time and the result you want and it does I'm afraid, take time. Also careful use of a hard steam cleaner which will help to realign the fibres.

Rod

When I did mine, I pushed the spikes through by hand and made sure I was happy with how they looked.

Turned them over and supporting the ring on a hardwood block, tapped the spikes over with a small hammer

Finished with a punch to push the tips of the spikes home.

Touch wood, they are still in place and holding

Edited by wjgco

Align the spike correctly with the floor fastener first so the carpet lays right, push through and line up the lower half correctly with the spikes. Bend over the spikes with a pair of pliers and job done. If the carpet is any good then the ring will sit down into the pile so it is virtually invisible.

Stuart.

Personally I would bend the spikes slightly more than 90 degrees. When you go to unclip in the future they should not force the spikes to try and straighten again

Thats why I bend them back with pliers.

Stuart.