Hi there.

Anyone got experience with this material? I'm thinking of using it on the floor of the 4A, to reduce noise and vibration.

Cheers

Dave

====

Hi Dave,

Have used it, like it.

it is good stuff, but works best on 'large' panels, and is bloomin expensive!

It won't do anything for the vibration, but 'damps down' resonance/drumming inside doors etc.

Not sure how valid it would be in a convertible??

mmmm. might be better in the GT6 then. does it do much to keep heat out -firewall and tunnel maybe?

Nope!

There are other products aimed at that!

I tried some leftover Dynamat on my gearbox cover on my 6 (stainless tubular manifold, so was looking for any improvement!)

Waste of time taking the carpets up, and it fell off once it got warm!

In fairness, the gearbox cover is an oriiginal cardboard one, plastic/GRP may stick better?

Dynamat is basically a 'deadening' compound in sheet form, not good against heat.

John

I'd have to say my experience is different

While it is primarily sound deadening I believe it does help with heat

Have fitted Dynamat to both cars, floors, gearbox/transmission tunnels and doors

None has delaminated and it does make a difference to heat transmission through the floor into the cockpit

And it gets hot over here in summer so it's noticeable

Graze

Dave

I have ordinary underfelt in my TR3A the fluffy type not the brown one, under the carpets, it is about 3/4" thick and it stops the road noise and drumming, but my exhaust system is lagged, so only a little heat here in summer in Spain.

Dave

Thanks everyone.

I was looking at the net last night, and Dynamat is very expensive. I think there are probably better and cheaper heat insulators, and probably just as good sound insulators for less money.

I'll keep researching for a bit I think. For those that are not aware, heat in a GT6 can be very, very, very uncomfortable.

cheers

Dave

====

Graze, you may well be right, I have to say my biggest 'annoyance' was that the bits (once unstuck from the gearbox cover) used to slide down behind the carpet, and 'creep' into the footwells!

Stuck them down again and again, then stuck them in the bin!!

'Hot left foot syndrome' ever since!!

Dave, that will be why a pal of mine used to refer to his as "Gas Mark 6"!!

I recall going to Devon in that car in July.

Not doing it again!!

Hi

For heat insulation you can get self adhesive foil backed foam for vans at very reasonable prices (just google 'van heat insulation roll' and loads come up). I think you only need to place patches of dynamat on the areas that resonate, in a similar way to the OEM deadening pads, I'm pretty sure I read somewhere that covering something like 25% of the area cuts 75% of the resonance, or something like that, don't quote me!

The benefits of the van thermal insulation is it's thermally efficient and doesn't absorb water ( google 'kiravan heat insulation roll' for specs), I used it on the 250 and it's quite easy to work with.

Stu

I looked up the kiravan ( I thought it was a spelling mistake, but no!). Looks excellent. I'll give it a go.

Thanks

Dave

----

I have looked at fitting Dynamat to my dove. The MGB GT they have fitted out with it is certainly impressive with regards to noise reduction but I too don't think it would make much difference in an open top car. A cheaper alternative I've used on my other TR is sound deadening material from Europa Spares at Fauld in Staffordshire. (You can check them out on the web. another alternative is to use the stuff they use in the engine bay on motor boats. It is quite thick though so might not be suitable for a TR.

Hogie

It's pretty common for Mark Macy of Macy's Garage to put insulating mat on the floorboards of a restoration project. Here's a sidescreen car, TS34XXXLO, being restored in his shop a few years ago.

i-9tL5Ktc-X2.jpg