Rather than using the starter motor with third gear, I would use first - slower, but would work even on an incline or mounting a kerb.

If the plugs were removed first, would be even more effective.

Ian Cornish

Ian

You beat me to it, always plugs out first, that´s if our happy camper with the chair has a plug spanner in that enormous kit of his, silly if he don´t have.

BTW I see all the similar comments came from TR6 owners, is it a problem with them?

Did my good deed of the day on Wednesday evening by stopping a van a little larger than a Transit from removing the wing mirror of a Toyota MR2 by trying to squeeze past it, but then the car should not have been parked there in a one way street even though it was parked half way on the pavement as well..

Dave

Silly OP here. As you can see from the photo the term 'busy' was meant sarcastically. And yes I carry a tool kit but didn't have a spare rotor arm. That was the cause of the problem.

Unless in an emergency I wouldn't consider mounting the pavement as it may well damage tyres or alloys as well as having dubious legality.

The Cairo is always in the boot for car shows, picnics etc. as it a blanket tool kid and some spares (now including a DD rotor arm)

Cheers

Gary

Hi Gary,

you are not silly. Every now and then I have been out without a single tool or spare part.

When I get home I scratch my head and think I probably shouldn't have done that.

When I bought my TR4 back in 2010 I got 10 miles down the road and the water pump pulley fell off.

A 5 minute job if I had a 7/16"AF spanner. I had nothing as I had just bought the car.

The AA took two hours to arrive and the man wanted to basically take the engine out and rebuild it. I took his spanner and sorted it.

Poo happens

Roger

My daily driver, a Jetta, spat out 2 of its injectors recently and expired in a cloud of diesel vapour, on the inside of, and near the exit of a semi-blind bend with double white lines. It won't energise the starter unless the clutch is pressed, and I didn't fancy rolling backwards onto oncoming traffic, so I put the warning triangle out and waited for the RAC.

About 20% of the people who drove past gave me a blast of their horn, accompanied by gestures, and two stopped alongside my car (i.e. on the wrong side of the road) to tell me how stupid I was for choosing to break down there.

Ididots!

Pete

Edited by stillp

What's all this talk of moving the car using the starter??

I just push the bugger! It's a light car and even up a slight incline it's easy to move!!

I pushed mine half a mile home once after it lost oil pressure too close to the garage to suffer the indignity of calling the breakdown service!

Paul

I also thought that for a small distance to a drop kerb or similar it would be possible, but then as a lot of us are ,lets say, not in the first flush of youth,perhaps the health implications out weigh the safety concerns. I recently saw four "youngsters" of late teens early twenties standing beside a small hatchback car on the busy A47 near Wisbech, the car was causing chaos with tailbacks of 3/4 mile in both directions and there was a layby less than 1/2 mile away, the car had all it's wheels and tyres intact. This kind of selfish I'm alright jack way of life seems to be more and more prevalent in todays society, but hey ho that's life in the 21st century.

Half the kids I know wouldn't have the first clue that car can be pushed.

The mid twenties I was at uni with here in Canada had no mechanical knowledge at all, as long as the car starts when the key is turned, they don't care.

Paul

I recently saw four "youngsters" of late teens early twenties standing beside a small hatchback car on the busy A47 near Wisbech, the car was causing chaos with tailbacks of 3/4 mile in both directions and there was a layby less than 1/2 mile away, the car had all it's wheels and tyres intact.

Come on, since me and my baby parted

Come on, I can't get started

Come on, I can't afford to check it

I wish somebody come along and run into it and wreck it

Average TR Man, sadly, isn't up to push starting his TR any more . . . . . that's life. Too much like hard work. And fitness level of f*** all.

One thing you can say about the V8 Lady - back in the day, she could push start the TR8 Turbo Le Mans. 35 years on, she can still push start the TR8 Drag Car. Or just about any other TR you care to name . . . . . :D

Cheers

Alec