my wiper-gear experiment

I'm making up Lucas B90 exchange-plan wiper-motors that have never been used at the moment.

These come without any big gear wheel fitted.

I have quite a few 150 degree wheels because they were used in much more common saloon models.

Some time back I made a jig to reset the crank-pin to 120 degrees and this is the result:

https://flic.kr/p/vK7rYV

The jig also makes 115 degree wheels. Now why would I want to do that?

Well its the sweep angle for a TR6. I guess that the factory found that 120 degrees is almost too big for a TR4/4A windscreen. Especially if you have some wear.

Does anyone find this is the case?

Hi Al

My 4A has a 120 degree gear and with all new or NOS parts the sweep is just right. There's not much scope for wear before the blades begin contacting the screen rubber though. I guess there'd be even less room for wear if the wiper blades were over sized.

P

If there's a 115 deg spare Alan I'd be well pleased to take it off your hands, PM me a price if you wish to sell one.

regards Mick Richards

Alan,

My Tr4A has a 120 and the wipers hit the rubber surround, so I can see the benefit of a 115 deg and would be interested in buying one.

Cheers

Graeme

TR2-3B

Solved my 'wiper blade lower edge hitting the screen frame' issue by fitting the correct length wiper blades. nominal 8" rather than 9"

Micho car

Are you sure you have the 10" rather than 11" blades fitted?

Peter W

I would also be interested in a 115 deg sweep gear. My 4A has the standard 120 and even with minimised lost motion after a thorough overhaul of the motor, a new rack and new wheel boxes the standard length blades still contact the screen rubber at both extremes.

Tim

Ah much as I thought. 120 is actually just a bit too much.

You can see the problem with the wipers when you work out where to put the crankpin.

The difference between a 120 wheel and a 130 wheel is about 1mm in the radial displacement

of the crankpin from the axis.

So a 115 wheel has the pin about 0.5mm, 20thou, nearer the centre.

You can easily have 1 or 2 thou backlash in the rack, a similar amount in the wheel boxes.

So if an absolutely as new original held a 120 sweep, it will quite soon be doing 125.

Don't think this just a "classic" problem. My son has a 5 year old Corsa with blades that won't stay on screen.

Edited by AlanT

Alan,

"I swapped a forumite a 120 wheel because he had a 110 and his wife moaned she couldn't see out."

My wife no longer moans!

Fitted with a set of PIAA blades and an intermittent wipe module they have been very good in all sorts of conditions over 10,000 miles

Mike