TRs are at Castle Combe 8th August

Thats the plan DAVE.Yet another head gasket fitted and skim. Abandoned test torrential rain 2 fridays ago.

May have to look at a larger rad e.g. Mark Cambell if no joy this time. :angry:

Roy

Thats the plan DAVE.Yet another head gasket fitted and skim. Abandoned test torrential rain 2 fridays ago.

Roy

Hi Roy, what rad is in yours now? A copy of the std one in ali or something else. If it is stiff doing with ali copy of std then it has to be the block or head faces surely?!

See ya there.

Roy

Still having problems Roy? Uprated standard rad should do the job - previously had an alloy rad - looked terrific,but no great improvement in cooling! When I went through a phase of overheating, after many blind alleys (some expensive!), and numerous gasket changes, it turned out to be a minute hairline crack in the head - virtually impossible to see on the bench, But presumed to open up sufficiently when hot and bothered to cause the problem.

Edited by alan57

Hi Roy,

Sorry about the milky oil, if recurrent head gaskets don't resolve it then a bigger rad isn't going to sort it. Getting hot will make it boil but wont let water into the oil.

I agree with john: there is more likely a split somewhere and as it affects the back cylinder it is likely to be there.

Good luck with the search

Michael

thanks Guys,

well pissed off Roy here.

4 races 5 gaskets , 2 different types , 2 skims,the last showing no warp.

There has not been any milky oil in any of the failures so have always been chasing the non cooling theory.

Started last year with the throwing of fan belts.Went to electric pump this year which caused a fail when a poor connection caused intermittent working.

After Silverstone had another skim total check of all wiring.Went to a different gasket and was very confident that i had got it beat at last. [ 4 laps ]

this time though really gone and water in the bores.SO could not face any more and me totally down and beaten, so on sunday handed it to another engine builder which after 25 years with one came hard.

Took it to him on monday and stripped it with him and the gasket had failed on every bore. As i have a plus 60 thou overbore the last gaskets were the standard payen which fitted the block just fine and caused some head scratching

but when laid on the head the problem was easy to see they had enlarged the combustion chambers in the head and they were larger than the gasket so no pressure on the metal ring of the gasket.He will now check everything before i get it back and think of race entries.

They had fitted a solid copper gasket so this was not a problem compression wise but not what was asked for and i am annoyed that i had not found this out earlier but you always lay the gasket on the block when fitting don't you ?

Won't get caught again.

Hopefully no cracks as it was failures in different cylinders on different gaskets . Am i just hoping ?

Yes Alan as you say many avenues already tried some painful on the wallet.

Michael,i see you try the water wetter product on saturday as the high temperature.Did it help ?

ROY :(:(:(

"but you always lay the gasket on the block when fitting don't you ?"

Not trying to be a smart arse, but you check heads and top of block.

Engineers blue the top of block and then wipe with grease and torque head down onto it without gasket, remove head and fit gasket to the block inspecting the grease where it's been compressed by the head to make sure the gasket when fitted will be clamped by the block but without having too much intruding into the chambers to prevent blowing it.

There's plenty of other mistakes to be made, and I've made most of them.

Mick Richards

Hi Roy,

Relieved to hear you have a possible answer to your problem.

Water wetter: My car survived practice but I was late for practice due to my error (ie I was waiting for TSCC to be called and they only called the Peter whatever race... won't make that mistake again) Anyway in my rush I forgot to put on my glasses under my helmet to all small instruments not seen until I came off - the water was 110 degrees but not apparently boiling . At rest it all got very hot and boiled happily until it cooled down. My oil temp was about 80 but I have had the oil radiator blanked off as the oil never seemed to get even warm with the radiator exposed.

So I did three things 1. I bought some water wetter from Merlin £14 and put that into the rad. 2. I opened the heater to the inside of the car so as to lose more heat and finally 3. took the blanking plate off the oil rad at the front. In the race I had my glasses on and could see that at the end of the start finish straight that the water didn't get above 90'C - success

I have to say that since coming back to racing this is the first time I have arrived, practiced and raced without major incident, ie I didn't fall off, I didn't spin, and the car didn't break, and I didn't crash on or off the circuit! a good day for me!!

I didn't win - but you can't have everything

Michael