Italia on the bay - but what's the reserve?

hello,

an horror ! too wide at he front !

putting a TR4 chassis under this beautyfull skin is a heresy !

spend so much money to ruin a car ....

+1 with you Malocomotion... Edited by Marc R

Good morning,

Here we have a situation:

- As mentioned on the description "The car has been updated with a later chassis from a Triumph TR4, utilizing rack-and-pinion steering and a slightly wider track"!!!

- On the picture we can easily see (i) Chrome wire wheels and (ii) Moto-Lita wood rim steering wheel

Did you think it is still an Italia?

Let’s imagine the comments if we present a TR3 with a TR4 chassis, a rack & pinion steering, a chrome wire wheels, a Moto-Lita wood trim steering wheel…. (Just to mention few deviation vs the original configuration) Obviously the price will not be the one for an original TR3 configuration!

What is your view?

Regards

Edited by Marc R

Personally, I don't think the steering wheel/ wire wheels is an issue, but the TR4 chassis is surely changing the basics of the car. However, the rarity of Italias mean it could be re-chassied with a TR3 chassis.

Simon

This car was built when the TR4 was already in production. It is undoubtedly the car Ruffino would have made if relations with Standard Triumph had been better.

I have no reason to doubt the statement that this Italia is the best handling Triumph of any kind the shop has ever driven. Possibly only bettered by the IRS Italia on a TR6 chassis rumoured to survive somewhere in USA.

It is in stunning condition, but clearly not stunningly 'correct.'

It will be very interesting to see what the market decides.

Hi Paul,

Tanks' for the interesting comments concerning the TR4 chassis, the handling and (something new for me) the rumour about a IRS chassis somewhere in the US!

I agree with you, we should consider and combine the 2 criteria (i) Original configuration and then(ii) Condition and not mix up this 2 concepts

Concerning the market, for a rare car like the Italia , I wish the original configuration is the key criteria to consider. This is not something crucial for a masse production car but, at least for me, it is crucial for this rare car build by Vignale.

Let's imagine what will be an Italia in a couple of decades if the market value de condition (with over restoration, updated / updated and deviation) at the detriment of the original configuration...

Regards

Edited by Marc R

is it just me or can anybody else see a TR4/5 resemblance at the rear blending into TR6 at the front ?

I'm not meaning that as a criticism its a very pretty car