A fellow Club member has recently had a high inertia starter motor fitted to his 3A.

Initially the starter worked perfectly but now when the starter button is pressed

the starter merely makes a 'whirling' sound and wont engage with the flywheel.

Has he got a faulty starter motor?

Tom.

Hi Tom,

has he got the correct Starter OR is the starter ring on the flywheel about face (isn't there a bevel on one side)

It may have just been engaging to start with but now has worn away.

You/he needs to take some dimensions.

Roger

Thank you Roger. I've had my high inertia starter fitted for some years without any problems.

My friend tells me that the well known supplier told him that their HI starters would fit any type

of TR flywheel??? :(

Cheers ~

Tom.

Hi Pete ~

Thanks for that. Yes, I knew that there were different starters for different flywheels that's why

I questioned the 'well known' suppliers dubious information.

It appears that my friend has been sent the wrong starter!

I've told him to contact the supplier to complain.

Cheers ~

Tom.

Its to do with the number of teeth on the starter dog, we have just had the same problem and had to change the pinion and the ring gear., you also need to check the ring gear as its probably knackered and when fitting the new one remember that all of the high torque ones throw in from the front so you will need the chamfer the right way round as well. Like Peter said "Bring a ring gear"

Stuart.

FWIW the pinion for a shrink on ring gear is 9 teeth 35mm diameter and bolt on is 10 teeth 39mm diameter.

Stuart.

Again to throw in my experience - Yes ['2 & early '3 ring gears were shrink on, & pinion threw in from the front, so need a 9 tooth starter,and no need to change the chamfering.

Later were bolt on & need a 10 tooth pinion, and the chamfer will be on the wrong side.

Way back in the 70's I was running for quite some time a TR4 starter (10 tooth) on my early '3. To achieve this I elongated one of the starter motor mounting holes so as to move it away from the ring gear just enough to give correct meshing. I did not bother to change the chamfering, & it worked for many years without trouble.

Would not do that now, but it shows the chamfer is not necessarily a problem.

Bob.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi,

Just fitted one of these starters to my 4A - engine is still on the bench but it seems to engage OK. It's a 39mm 10 tooth pinion so seems to be correct, but is it possible or advisable to turn the bolt on ring gear around so the chamfer faces the pinion.

Engine is out and not mated to the gearbox so now would be a good time to do it.

Bryan

Reversing the ring gear will place the chamfer on the correct side, but it will be on the wrong side of the teeth. However, IMO probably still worth doing.

Bob

If I was in that situation Bryan I would swap it over but if I'd installed it the "wrong" way around I wouldn't lose any sleep over it as the pinion has a chamfer on it (mine does) anyway and it's pre-engaged so not so brutal on the ring gear anyway.

If I was in that situation Bryan I would swap it over but if I'd installed it the "wrong" way around I wouldn't lose any sleep over it as the pinion has a chamfer on it (mine does) anyway and it's pre-engaged so not so brutal on the ring gear anyway.

FWIW they arent pre engaged which is why they make that horrible noise

Stuart.

Sure about that? Doesn't the pinion move forward before the motor starts, I bench tested mine but didn't look too closely? I thought the noise was due to the reduction gearbox.

I've just looked at mine again and it seems to be what I've understood to be meant by pre-engaged. With 12V on the main connection nothing happens. With 12 V only on the solenoid connection the pinion is thrown out and this appears to complete the circuit to the starter, which only operates once the pinion has been thrown out.

Since everything is accessible at the moment I might well change the ring gear around anyway, although I take the point that the chamfer will be on the "wrong" side. I suspect that might only be important on the bendix type starter where the pinion is spinning before engagement. If my pinion is not spinning on engagement then having the chamfer on the "wrong" side might still help, especially coupled with the chamfer on the pinion.

We shall see!

Bryan